Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I need to wait a while, but I will post more about the Mendota. I will say, Mendota is a good company, they were very responsive. And, I found an incredible service person, not associated with the company we purchased the insert from, that knows exactly what he's doing.
    Last edited by MimiS; 02-10-2007 at 11:59 AM.

Cool

The model # would be very helpful. is this a direct vent? Not to many fireplaces have 5 in. venting. dv. would have larger outside with smaller 3to4 in. on the inside. as far as the defective tcpl. possible but not likely. log set positioning is critical. monitoring thermopile output is the key.

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by jtp10181 View Post
    Have someone come service it
    I am renting so not really inspired much to call for service. My landlord doesn't even speak English. Would love do it yourself tips...

By chance are the service techs NFI certified. IF NOT REQUEST ONE....

Quote Originally Posted by amlocke View Post
    I am renting so not really inspired much to call for service. My landlord doesn't even speak English. Would love do it yourself tips...
    It could be one of many many things.

Here is a DIY tip: DON'T

Mendota totally repaired

Well, I now believe the fireplace is repaired.

Mendota insisted the company from which we purchased our fireplace send out a professional knowledgeable with the issues we were having. This would not have happened if I had not contacted Mendota.

Turns out the whole thing was installed incorrectly by the local company. The whole thing was ripped out and properly re-installed. There was no insulation in the chimney, the company left out a converter and there was a HUGE flame up in the fireplace, those are just two of the many issues.

I don't know the technical terms but you will understand. The flame was not facing the proper direction so it was not keeping the *spindle* heated and the fire kept going out. Once that was determined, and re-situated, there has been no problem.

The company we purchased the stove from was totally clueless.

I would like to thank all of you for your help. Your suggestions helped me deal with the company and finally determine what I should be asking and looking for in a professional. We found a great guy in Connecticut whom we will use to service our fireplace.

Thanks for getting back with the update. Mendota makes a very high quality unit. I find that the biggest problem in gas fireplaces is that you have installers and techs. Most places thar sell them have installers, but few have techs. Installers are very good at installing and techs SHOULD be very good at trouble shooting. There aren't a lot of people that install and know how to repair. I don't do installs, but people tell me I am pretty good at trouble shooting!!!! :-)

PS. I don't service the Connecticut area. hehehehe

Hmm

Initially the company we purchased the fireplace from had a college guy come out and try and figure out what was wrong. I felt sorry for him, he tried so hard.. he wasn't experienced, somebody in his family was a repair person and he kept calling him. It was a foolish move, trying to postpone the repair on the sellers part because they had nobody that was qualified. It was beyond annoying - it went on about 5 months or so! I finally blew up. The owner of the company told me I was unreasonable. Yeah, right... calling all the time trying to get a brand new, expensive fire place to light is unreasonable. I thought the 5 or 6 months was unreasonable.

Probably a good thing you don't service the CT area... at least a good thing you're not employed by this company up north. lol.

Honestly, it is very difficult to find someone that wants to work their butts off as a tech 4 months a year and not work at all the other 8 months. It takes most of a season to train someone to the point where they aren't calling you every 45 minutes and asking questions.

I have several hearth shops in my area that refers customers to me. I send 'em sales and they send me service calls. I work for myself and that suits me just fine. I worked for someone else for 6 years and made money for him........not BOTH of those pennies go in my pocket. :-)

I sometimes wished that I worked in an area that actually had Winter, instead of the 2 months of "Winter" they have here in the South East, but I like the beach too....ya can't have it all I guess.

I can make that drive to CT......for a price $$$$$

Our family lived in Rockville, VA for years. Such a beautiful area. Virginia is the other place we would live if we weren't here.

I'm so happy to have found this other person to do the maintenance required, when it is required. He opened his own company in the southern part of the state. He's excellent. Good work ethic. I suspect he'll do very well. He sure knows what he's doing.

I can understand what you say about training people.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123