Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    uhhh... thats a pretty poorly designed fireplace if they have to remove it to replace the most commonly replaced part.

Quote Originally Posted by jtp10181 View Post
    uhhh... thats a pretty poorly designed fireplace if they have to remove it to replace the most commonly replaced part.
    I may not be correct on the piece, we'll see. Whatever it is, the repair person said it's a "big job". Perhaps an awkward job??

Nothing about this thread makes any sense. What is the model of this unit?

The whole fireplace issue makes no sense. None of this should be happening.

It's a Mendota Seabrook D40.

Today we had it lit for about 6 hours, I just turned it off and the pilot light went out again.

I think the basic problem is that it's has faulty parts and the owner of the place where we purchased the insert is trying to tweak it and get it running without replacing the parts - which isn't going to work.

Question thermocouples

I was just talking with a Mendota dealer yesterday and they were complaining the thermocouples on LP were burning out even when the pilot flame is turned down as far as possible.

What flavor fuel do you have?

I had the same experience with a dv wall heater cooking t-piles. They changed the pilot assy so it dropped the t-pile down 1 cm (1/2 in.). Sounds like they need to do the same or go to a lower profile t-couple.

At first it sounded like the vent was installed wrong. In the manual it allows for some adapters that leave room for problems if not done properly (coxial vs co-linear)

This fp is run off propane. Can you believe the installer forgot to install the converter when it was initially installed? This has been a nightmare from the start. We're soon going to contact our Attorney General if it isn't resolved.

Thanks for the input, I'm saving the info.

I believe it. The conversion kit was probably not ordered because the salesman didn't order it. It was always my policy to do the conversion at the shop to avoid stuff like this at the customers house. You should give them time to get the necessary parts and work done. I wouldn't start talking about lawyers until they are uncooperative. For Us, any lawyer threats and we are gone and cannot go back to your house. Good luck and let us know what happens.

We are giving them time, I didn't mean to sound as if we're about to drag them off to court. We've been very patient. The sales person, who really seems to know more about the Mendota's than anyone at the store - but I don't really know that for sure - called and is coming out tomorrow with a new thermocoupler, also to address the venting issue, and the installation was never tested for gas leaks. There's more, but they are making an effort, but not without a lot of nudging on our part - since September 2006.

I will let you know. Mendota is aware of the problems as well.

Well, not much progress. Now we'll have to move on.
    Last edited by MimiS; 02-03-2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: additional info

Anyone have info on Superior fireplaces?

Every time I want to enjoy a fire in my gas fireplace I have re-light the pilot light! So I light it, turn on the switch to ignite the fire, then the light goes out after I turn off the switch. Any ideas???

Have someone come service it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast