Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mendota Gas Fireplace pilot light goes out

Hello, I see there are others having pilot light issues.

We have a newly installed Mendota, there is a high wind cap on the chimney.

After burning the fireplace for several hours, the whole thing goes out... pilot light, fire, everything. The pilot light itself does not go out on a windy day, only after burning for a while. What could the issue be?

It's propane.

There are countless things that could be causing it, including but not limited to: inlet pressure, insufficient cumbustion air, defective termocouple, etc...

If it was recently installed it is under warranty, why dont you have the dealer service it? Oh wait... it seems most dealers wont touch or or don't know how to fix it after they installed it. Thats why I always say to make sure the dealer will service what they sell like we do.

This year I had to make three 1 hour drives (one way, and almost to the next state) to fix an installtion / service issue that was three years old. All was done at no cost to the customer.

Pilots go out for many reasons, sounds like your venting is and issue or your not operating the blower. A build up of heat in the firebox will cause a pilot to go out after 6 hours of running it, especially if it never go's out on a windy day. To my knowledge Mendota must have its fan running while whenever it is in use. Are you running the fan?

As jtp10181 has stated there could be a number of different issues that could be causing the unit to shut down, a lack of combustion air, overheating causing a limit to trip are a couple things that come to mind. You need to have a qualified service tech check out the unit thoroughly.

Confused

Thanks for the thoughts on possiblities. The dealer has been out and they are coming out again tomorrow again to try and check a couple things out. We'll see what happens.

Yes, we do keep the fan running, it's heating a chilly area of the family room. It's frustrating, but hopefully the issue will be resolved.

Any service person here from CT?
    Last edited by MimiS; 01-16-2007 at 05:57 PM. Reason: add comment

A techy came out today and looked at the fireplace, carefully. He discovered there is only one of the 5" pipes going up the flue, the second is not there. What's with that?! This was a *professional* dealer rep that installed it. There is not enough air to keep the pilot light going and there needs to be a replacement part installed. The pilot light is burning orange and is wimpy.

I emailed Mendota and they called me back within 2 hours and asked who the company was the installed the insert and what was happening with the service. The company had been in contact with Mendota but I don't think the issue was clearly related to Mendota which would have given Mendota an opportunity to suggest a reasonable fix. It happened that the tech guy was here and they had a good conversation and I do believe we're on our way to getting the issues resolved.

We'll see....

most inserts only require one liner to be run up the cap, the fresh air liner is only run just above the draft stop and then sucks air down the old chimney. Our mfg has suggested we line the fresh air also one two units that are having the same problem as you. I think it will help if the problem seems to be lack of combustion air. Is it really a 5" liner? Our inserts only use a 3" liner, 5" seems kind of large for an insert.

Yes, it really is 5", I looked at it today. It's a 40" insert. I thought it would be 3" too since most that I read about (installation instructions) had 3" pipes.

We'll see what happens....

Well, the service man came out again today and replace several pieces. It was obvious that the installation had been quite shoddy. The fireplace is burning away nicely now but he told us the thermocoupler doesn't test as it should, it's about half what it should be. Sooo... if the fireplace is burning ok should we bother with the thermocoupler? I think we should get it replaced while it's under warranty, I don't want to be paying for this down the road someday soon... probably the day after the warranty runs out. The repair guy was going to talk to the owner of the company and he should be calling us.

Seems they should replace the thermo coupler (sp?), don't you think so?

he was probably talking about the thermopile, and if it was testing at half the normal reading your fireplace is barly working. If its malfunctioning they should replace it under warranty.

I agree, they should replace it. I haven't heard from the owner of the company, I'll give him a day and then call.

I really think he said defective thermocoupler... but I wouldn't swear to it. It's written down in the folder I've been keeping.

the thermocouple is very hard to test unless you have a special adaptor, which is possible they have. but if it was running at half which is about 10-15mv then the pilot would probably go out a lot.

OK, I understand. I'll post what it ends up being after it's replaced. :-) The tech guy said replacing it is a *big job*. I think he said they would have to take out the insert. It's going to be interesting. I'm sure the dealer isn't looking forward to this but the installer, imo, was really careless about things.

I really appreciate everyone's help. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast