+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!!

Post Likes

Help!!!!

What's going on guys I need some advice. I am 21 years old and I currently work for a local plumbing hvac company. I have been there 2 years this coming May and its time to move on. I started out doing plumbing and I asked the boss to switch me to hvac beginning of last summer. Well I got switched and i washed coils for 4-5 months. In that time I never rode in a service to run a no AC call. So I asked why I could never be with a service tech well I was told they didn't need help. So now I was stuck doing commercial install and I grew more pissed each day as the jobs got worse and were never setup right. Now I went back asked if I could go with a tech to run no heat calls again I was told they needed no help. What they fail to understand is I am not learning a thing. My family has 15 or so rental properties 3 right now have no heat, I have had to tell my grandpa that I have no idea what I am looking at cause I am being held back at work. So now he has to call someone to fix them cause I can't.
    So I am wondering what is refrigeration and food service equipment like? Is there money to be made there? Should I get out of where I am and move on to a company I can learn at? Would it be worth it a few years down the road to open my own business at the beach or something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Likes
    Move on.

There are plenty of companies that want to train helpers into full service techs. You just need to search and find the right company which will allow for the most growth and training opportunities.

Post Likes
    Does the company know Your family has 15 rental Properties. If so your a potential threat. Im sure one property can get you a nice loan to start your own company. Next job keep them wandering.
    Customer is alWays opposite of Left

Post Likes
    Yea now I just need to find the right company and go from there. I wish I could make something good out of the rest of the time I am here until I find a new company. I know that will not happen just be like today cleaning a main sewer in the rain till 2pm today

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zartangreen View Post
    Does the company know Your family has 15 rental Properties. If so your a potential threat. Im sure one property can get you a nice loan to start your own company. Next job keep them wandering.
    Yes we have all the properties on a account at the shop. We don't use them cause they have went up on prices so bad we are 180 per hr for one tech.

Post Likes
    There are companies willing to train. Keep looking high and low.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Your learning nothing is beneath you. Which will be very handy in the future.
    Customer is alWays opposite of Left

Post Likes
    Yea I want to learn as much as I can. Like. Sad I would love to live on the lake or at the beach an do this for a living

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by I want to learn View Post
    Yea I want to learn as much as I can. Like. Sad I would love to live on the lake or at the beach an do this for a living

Have you thought about a trade school or collage HVAC program?

Post Likes
    I have a little but school is so hard for me I learn better in the field. A few techs at work went thru it and said it helped a little.

Post Likes
    School man school, most of us here started out that way. Is there a reason you don't try to educate yourself? HVAC is not just riding around and learning simple things then all of a sudden you are a technician. It is a skilled job that takes a lot of education & hands on experience, if you have no will to get educated, then get out while you still can, because I have been in this field over 24 years and still finding myself having to learn something new, its an ongoing training.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Have you thought about a trade school or collage HVAC program?
    I have a little but school is so hard for me I learn better in the field. A few techs at work went thru it and said it helped a little.

I can say i have learned alot.

Post Likes

If you really want to learn, quit complaining and be the best coil washer on the planet. While you're cleaning the coils read the wire diagrams and follow the wires and see how stuff works.

Post Likes
    Look into if there is a local union that trains people in an apprenticeship program then after 4 years you would become a journeyman? That is if you want to learn to do service work or are you looking for just repairing those rentals? If that is your primary goal then take a 6-month to a year community college its not too expensive & you could learn just enough for what you want to do.

Post Likes
    School will give you the basic skills to be at least usefull to the techs. I went to a 1 year HVAC program at my local community college. It gave me the basic skills. I am now an apprentice at a company that specializes in Geothermal. With out the skills I learned in school, this would be a lot harder with a much tougher learning curve.

Post Likes
    Do you. If you really wanna be a tech then do what is required to become one, education and experience. You can do it with experience alone but you won't be a good one and it won't be soon. In this trade since 1989 and guess where I went last week. School!! Ya sometimes its hard but if it were easy everyone would be a tech and we wouldn't make the money we do. Your obviously not gonna get it where you are so make a change and commit to it. You can do whatever you set your mind to. Good luck.

Post Likes
    Join RSES or start down the NATE courses...education is out there if you have the desire.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Post Likes
    I WANT TO LEARN; If you are not learning anything installing commercial units and washing coils than you have a bad attitude and a big ego. Take advatage of your situation now the grass is not always greener.

Post Likes
    Go to UA.org and click on Join UA. Fill out the form and you will be contacted and informed about opportunities in your area with the United Assoc.

Post Likes
    Hi, I saw this topic and I had to say something...I am not in the same boat your in however I am an Army vet and holds a Universal cert...and for the life of me I cannot get anyone on any other forum to advise me on how to get the attention of some companies that are hireing for overseas contracts... can anyone on here help out with a push in the right direction?..kinda lost..thanks..
    Last edited by Omega1982; 03-04-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in