Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help!!!!

Look into if there is a local union that trains people in an apprenticeship program then after 4 years you would become a journeyman? That is if you want to learn to do service work or are you looking for just repairing those rentals? If that is your primary goal then take a 6-month to a year community college its not too expensive & you could learn just enough for what you want to do.

School will give you the basic skills to be at least usefull to the techs. I went to a 1 year HVAC program at my local community college. It gave me the basic skills. I am now an apprentice at a company that specializes in Geothermal. With out the skills I learned in school, this would be a lot harder with a much tougher learning curve.

Do you. If you really wanna be a tech then do what is required to become one, education and experience. You can do it with experience alone but you won't be a good one and it won't be soon. In this trade since 1989 and guess where I went last week. School!! Ya sometimes its hard but if it were easy everyone would be a tech and we wouldn't make the money we do. Your obviously not gonna get it where you are so make a change and commit to it. You can do whatever you set your mind to. Good luck.

Join RSES or start down the NATE courses...education is out there if you have the desire.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

I WANT TO LEARN; If you are not learning anything installing commercial units and washing coils than you have a bad attitude and a big ego. Take advatage of your situation now the grass is not always greener.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

Go to UA.org and click on Join UA. Fill out the form and you will be contacted and informed about opportunities in your area with the United Assoc.

Hi, I saw this topic and I had to say something...I am not in the same boat your in however I am an Army vet and holds a Universal cert...and for the life of me I cannot get anyone on any other forum to advise me on how to get the attention of some companies that are hireing for overseas contracts... can anyone on here help out with a push in the right direction?..kinda lost..thanks..
    Last edited by Omega1982; 03-04-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo

Call up embassy's in NY,, There all over ,, taking up parking spots. A polite voice goes far. im sure they can steer You
    Customer is alWays opposite of Left

Start taking at least the basic classes of HVAC man.. then keep looking up on craigslist in ur local area for any small companies looking for a seasonal helper, that way you can at least ride with a service tech get some hands-on experienced & work your way from there. That's what i did last summer.

Wanting something for nothing seems to be the norm these days.
    Set yourself apart, and want for something!
    If you are not showing any initiative, no one is going to pay you any attention.
    Like said before, if education is out of the picture, then go back to plumbing!!!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12