Question To Vent or not to Vent A P-Trap

Aplication - Small split HVAC systems 1 1/2 ton to 5 ton, residential houses and apartment complex. Closet and attic instalations.

I have seen 3 ways a p-trap has been installed in air handlers, just a p-trap by itself, a vent after the drain pan but before the p-trap and a vent after the p-trap.

Question - What are the determining factors regaurding which p-trap constuction is required?

I have my own common sence ideas but would like to hear other opinions.

Hmm Vent on Drain Line

We always put the vent on the leaving side of the trap. Make sure the end of vent pipe is higher than the drain pan. If on the other side you are looseing conditioned air. If it is a short run we do not install one. If a long run with very little grade it would be a good idea.
    Blue Fox

Quote Originally Posted by lentz View Post
    We always put the vent on the leaving side of the trap. Make sure the end of vent pipe is higher than the drain pan. If on the other side you are looseing conditioned air. If it is a short run we do not install one. If a long run with very little grade it would be a good idea.
    I've never quite understood the need for the vent. Can you explain please?

According to NATE all condensate lines get a P-Trap

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    According to NATE all condensate lines get a P-Trap

yeah but NATE don't have to come out and clean a trap that was not needed in the first place

if a trap is needed it should be vented after the trap, before the trap will let air suck in and not let water out if a return side coil.

Traps:

Condensate traps are intended to allow the condensate to flow from the air handler / coil where the drain is in the NEGITIVE (return) air flow. If you fail to trap it properly the unit will suck air up the drain, displacing the water until it either overflows in the unit or releases with a huge gush (if your lucky).

The vent after the trap is to prevent a double trap scenario where multiple units are tied together or the condensate line has sags in it. It also serves as a handy clean out.

Drains in the POSITIVE air flow require additional corrective action.

Hmm Condensation

Quote Originally Posted by snewman24 View Post
    I've never quite understood the need for the vent. Can you explain please?
    Remember that liquid runs out of pipe a lot better if it does not have to pull a vaccum. So in a long run the water will run out better if air is able come in on the back of the liquid. Turn a Coke bottle full of water up side down and see that it has to gurgle for the water to run out. The vent is really only needed if the run is long and very little grade. If the drain line was almost full of water at some places it would be trying to pull a vaccum.
    Blue Fox

P-traps are mostly used in residential applications on Air Handlers where the coil is under negative pressure. This means that the coil is before the blower, and if a P-trap is not used, the unit will not drain. It may not drain at all, if the return static pressure is high. Vents should always go after the P-trap in negative pressure applications, otherwise you will get the same result if you had no trap. People on this forum have varing opinions on the use of P-traps on positive pressure applications. It's not a bad idea to use a trap here as well, but it will most likley clog with dust being blown into the drain.

P traps serve several purposes:
    1. They stop the unit from sucking or blowing conditioned air
    2. The trap allows water to flow when the unit is running if it is on a suction side coil (most common).
    3. Keeps critters from walking up your drain line to the inside of your unit to get a drink of water.
    4. If the drain is (illegally in most cases) tied into the sewer system, it prevents poisonous and stinky gas from being drawn into your house.

I trap and vent every primary drain. The vent ALWAYS goes on the downhill side of the trap, away from the unit.
    I NEVER trap the secondary drain, and don't provide a separate vent. Both are unnecessary.

I always vent the primary drain after the trap unless the run is very short and I have complete control of the pitch and can be sure there are no sags which will cause the drain to fail.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain