+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ignorant stairs

Post Likes

ignorant stairs

some architect thought this was cute, but its not. it only works if you never carry anything. also, you should be able to walk upright going up any stairs, right?

try carying a 90 lb comp down this thing. can't use a rope to let it down, the stairs block the whole opening beneath hatch. can't set it on rungs,either. put on shoulder to bring down and hung it on opening. let it drop because didn't want to get hurt beacuse of this idiot contraption.

Name:  DSCN3575.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  42.4 KBName:  DSCN3576.jpg
Views: 1834
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  DSCN3572.jpg
Views: 1839
Size:  41.3 KBName:  DSCN3573.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  35.9 KBName:  DSCN3574.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  42.0 KB
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    left foot . right foot. or was it right foot left foot. WTF?
    In GOD We Trust

Post Likes
    Sprinklers, either commercial or an apartment don't you guys have building codes where your at, cause I know for sure that wouldn't pass here.

Post Likes
    At least they made it out of...

2x6?!

Wouldnt a ladder have been far simpler and more effective?

Post Likes
    It looks like there is no room to get into the hatch area with a service bag let alone a compressor- thats got to be less than 20". I love the floor pic

Post Likes
    Seen that on a job I was on a couple months ago. It was on a addition, a music hall built onto the back of the house. It was built as a service ladder to the furnace, damn near broke my neck trying to haul my service pack up there and not fall myself. I couldn't get the rhythm of the steps.
    " dirty filter??!!! Buts its only 2 years old" You never learn everything you need to know is this industry

Post Likes
    That design is called a captains ladder. They are common on older boats and the purpose is to be able to make a very steep stair case that takes up little horizontal room. It is an alternative to a ladder because it is easier to walk up with out using your hands but it still fits well in the tight confines of a ship. That said, they are a royal pain in the ass to work with. For some reason, some architects think it will work well on land for the same reason they work well on water, but they put them in locations that require people to carry things up and down them. I have almost killed my self more times then I like to admit on these things. In all honesty, they ought to make them against code. They are meant for easy assent on a ship not as an access to mechanical systems.
    The only true knowledge is the pursuit of knowledge

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by philjafo View Post
    Sprinklers, either commercial or an apartment don't you guys have building codes where your at, cause I know for sure that wouldn't pass here.
    @phil are you talking about sprinklers not passing code where you are?

Post Likes
    I meant the sprinkler system makes it look like a commercial or apartment application, should've been more clear on that one. Then the code was a separate thought on the stairs not passing code. I've seen really steep staircases on very old homes, like 100 years old. Those stairs don't look that old and I've never seen alternating steps like that. Seems like they'd be a pain in the but even when your not trying to carry a compressor.

Post Likes
    Aw, quit your griping. The ones I see like that, they run the sprinkler pipe through the middle of the stairs.

If there were stairs.

Post Likes
    it is a commercial building- four floors, ist is commercial and next 3 floors apartments for college students.

there was apparently and issue w/stairs when the building was put up, and this got it done. they also have a manufactured version in one of the 1st floor units to access a mezz w/ three air handlers. you pretty well lean into the stairs when you climv them due to steep angle, and my knees/legs drag on front edges as try to climb. and you sure can't carry stuff well up them, either.

also, the elevator and roof access are at opposite ends of block long building- fun for whoever is working on the unit at elevator end building.

I think any more speed, and that comp would have dropped thru floor and down to next floor. It was partially imbedded in the floor when I went to pick it up.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    you see those alot on commercial properties. usually welded steel though..

Post Likes
    Yup, we have a set here, only ours have the standard step style. Fun coming back down, as there is less than a foot between the bottom step and the door. At least the elevator is only ten feet from the roof access. Haven't heard many complaints from service techs.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in