Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    If you were my customer we would suggest just replacing the air handler.
    Thanks, any suggestion on a couple good brands of air handlers that would match up with my 3.5 Arcoaire?

Quote Originally Posted by jakek34 View Post
    This companies warranty says...We back all manufacturer warranties on equipment, the equipment must be installed by a heating and air contractor or approved by HVAC technician. When a part needs to be replaced we will ship you the replacement part and then you will return defective part back to us for warranty reimbursement. We back all manufacturer warranties on parts only, the customer is responsible for the shipping and labor charges to replace defective parts.
    So you realize that you will be PURCHASING your warranty part and then maybe get reimbursed if they determine its failed? Also, you will be paying the labor to put it in? PLUS SHIPPING?????

what happens when the unit they send you is defective???? It DOES Happen.

I am not saying you are stupid. What I am saying is your mentality is way off. Most hvac companies that have been in buisiness for 10 plus yrs are a pretty safe bet to go with, just do some research on the one you are thinking about choosing. They are not out to rip you off but there is a certain amount of overhead that must be figured into the job. As a consumer you need to look at warranty, customer service and quality of workmanship, buing your equipment online and having your friend install it will get you none of the three. If you can't afford to do it right then save a little more money or get a home improvement loan.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

There are issues with purchasing equipment online and your actual savings will be less than you think. Shipping usually factors in, if it says free shipping, it's added into the price already and ballparked to cover every piece shipped to who ever how ever far. Warranties, the coverage you get will vary depending on which company manufactured the equipment and which company sold it. It will be your responcibility to remove the defective part, package it, ship it and wait for a determination as to why it failed and then if it's determined to be a manufacturer's defect, wait for your refund, minus shipping and possibly a handling fee. Damaged during shipping to you, good luck with that. Collecting from commercial carriers is tough, ask any of us that has had to deal with that. Once it leaves the warehouse, it's all on the carrier. Labor warranty, not covered. Most reputible contractors give at least one year (we give two) on their equipment, not on equipment supplied by you. This is part of the reason it does cost more buying through a contractor. The factory does not pay for warranty labor, the contractor does and the manufacturer is clear about expecting the contractor to build in the cost of this and pass it on. If your good with these terms as such, and the risks involved, then buy online. I will say that I did an install of a 90%+ name brand furnace in a mobile home for a customer that purchased online before talking to me. I was able to register the warranty for him so no issues as far as parts but he was on the hook for labor from day one. When it was all said and done he ended up paying several hundred dollars more for the exact same furnace and install than he would have had he just called me first and had me do the whole thing to start with. And he had no labor warranty. As a side note, I am also a fire investigator and the exact same customer burned down to the ground another one of his rental trailers 3 weeks ago by................................you guessed it, trying to repair the furnace by himself. Good thing for him that insurance companies still cover stupidity, the trailer mas still covered His tenant got a lawyer and is going to get his personal property replaced at the owners expense, his insurance denied that claim.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    I am not saying you are stupid. What I am saying is your mentality is way off. Most hvac companies that have been in buisiness for 10 plus yrs are a pretty safe bet to go with, just do some research on the one you are thinking about choosing. They are not out to rip you off but there is a certain amount of overhead that must be figured into the job. As a consumer you need to look at warranty, customer service and quality of workmanship, buing your equipment online and having your friend install it will get you none of the three. If you can't afford to do it right then save a little more money or get a home improvement loan.

I see what you are saying. I just hate that I have had 2 different estimates done, and their prices have been drastically different for the same work. I think I will consult a couple more companies and see. I do want a good warranty, so I don't want to leave myself high and dry in case of emergency.

Ok, new question spinoff. All along, I just wanted to replace the evaporator coil, which is leaking, and the pan underneath also has a hole so it is leaking under the house. I was first told that because the part was so old, you couldn't just replace the coil because the brand(Sundial) didn't exist and couldn't get parts. Now another person is telling me I might be able to just replace the coil and go from there.

I'd like to do this because we are thinking about buying a new home in the not too distant future, and would like to not overspend where we are now.

So is parts for that fix available?

I see what you are saying. I just hate that I have had 2 different estimates done, and their prices have been drastically different for the same work. I think I will consult a couple more companies and see. I do want a good warranty, so I don't want to leave myself high and dry in case of emergency.
    This is a TRADE, EVERY job is different....its not like going to a gas station and getting a tire fixed.

This is a TRADE,

Company A cares about their work, workers take pride, they braze with Nitrogen, they pull micron level vacs, they install for future service. They cost more-they want you as a customer for a long time.

Company B is much cheaper, told by the office "get er done quick"..no time for nitrogen, just pull vacuum for 15 minutes, lineset covers the blower housing?-No problem the techs will have to take care of that when it fails.....chances are you won't be our customer by then.....

And thats only on the install side....Not the design side....

I honestly can't understand why people have to treat me like this. I'm trying to gain knowlege, trying to do things the right way, and instead am told I am not credible and basically stupid? I came here for help from people I thought were genuine and trustworthy, not to start a fight.
    Your asking people to help you out round people like them(contractors trying to make a buck and keep their people working and their families fed). And saying that the companies they own or work for charge outrageous prices. And then you want them to be all warm and friendly with you.

So your saying the guy that is going to do all this work for you. can't answer your questions. but your going to use him anyways. Tell him you'll be sending him a 1099 next January. And see if he doesn't balk, or raise his price.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Ok I am going to post two possiable outcomes of your decision and the effect it can have on you.

1. Have a lic. Contractor install his brand of euuipment at a fair cost. This ensures you that the system will be installed properly and have a warranty (get in writing)..

2. You buy equipment on line and try to save a few bucks. Your friend installs it. Runs find for a year then a part fails! Then what are you going to call the person who sold you the equipment and ask for replacment part? If so then you will be paying for the part, freight and labor to install.

You say that contractors are charging too much to install equipment? Why do you think that? They are providing you with a service that you can't do and will warranty it. Their company has to be paid, they have to be paid etc... Markup is part of the equation when it comes to any service or install of hvac equipment just like anything else in this world!

What do you do for a living? We install, service and provide instance on what to install or what needs to be serviced at your home. So you would have to pay for it.

So you have to ask yourself do you want to save a few $$$ now and risk the possiably of something happening and not been covered or pay a little more now with a guarantee that it will work, have warranty etc...? Its your $ but if not carefully will spend a $ trying to go cheap and bash installers/service people for doing their jobs and making a living only to find yourself needed them in the future to fix/repair the system you bought online.

If your friend is in the bussiness why can't he get you equipment and install it for you at his cost? Because either he can't or want because of the headache it can cause for him. I am not saying your friend want do this but why hasn't he offered already? Just some things to think about before making a final decssion!!!!

i would have a new indoor unit installed and then when the outdoor unit fails (depending on when) replace it with a 410 unit ,never know might last 20 more years . i would not replace a 4 year old outdoor unit
    We really need change now

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Your asking people to help you out round people like them(contractors trying to make a buck and keep their people working and their families fed). And saying that the companies they own or work for charge outrageous prices. And then you want them to be all warm and friendly with you.

So your saying the guy that is going to do all this work for you. can't answer your questions. but your going to use him anyways. Tell him you'll be sending him a 1099 next January. And see if he doesn't balk, or raise his price.

I see what you are saying, I probably broached that subject in the wrong mannor. My frustration stemmed from having quotes for the same exact work with different companies and their THOUSANDS of dollars worth of difference.

The good news is, I took the good advice from people on here and found a contractor with a good reputation that would do the work at a reasonable price. I decided to just replace the inside unit, and if push comes to shove and the outside unit ever goes out, I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Thanks for everyones advice and help. I went with a Goodman air handler, which I have heard good things about.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    i would have a new indoor unit installed and then when the outdoor unit fails (depending on when) replace it with a 410 unit ,never know might last 20 more years . i would not replace a 4 year old outdoor unit
    This is ultimately what I decided. I had spoke with someone who had said if I replace the air handler now, then when the outside unit did finally go out, then I would have to also replace the air handler again. Well come to find out, the new Goodman air handlers can work on both R-22 and 410, so I wouldn't have to AGAIN replace the air handler once the outside unit craps out.

With that info, it was a no brainer.

This is ultimately what I decided. I had spoke with someone who had said if I replace the air handler now, then when the outside unit did finally go out, then I would have to also replace the air handler again. Well come to find out, the new Goodman air handlers can work on both R-22 and 410, so I wouldn't have to AGAIN replace the air handler once the outside unit craps out.

With that info, it was a no brainer.
    Well this is debatable but for your sake we'll go with it. Congratulations, hope all goes well.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12