Thread: Furnace

Furnace

Iam new to hvac and learning, typically how long should a furnace run for before it shuts down,and how long should it stay off?

Quote Originally Posted by jd81222 View Post
    Iam new to hvac and learning, typically how long should a furnace run for before it shuts down,and how long should it stay off?

Well it should stay running until the thermostat is satisfied, and it should stay off until the thermostat is unsatisfied hope this helps.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

furnace

ok that helps but my furnace runs for 4 minutes satisfies the tstat then shuts off but does not come on for about 15 minutes again. When it runs for 4 minutes that does not seem too long to me even though it satisfies the tstat.

Quote Originally Posted by jd81222 View Post
    ok that helps but my furnace runs for 4 minutes satisfies the tstat then shuts off but does not come on for about 15 minutes again. When it runs for 4 minutes that does not seem too long to me even though it satisfies the tstat.
    New to hvac? Have you had a qualified technician check the system? Are you in training with a Hvac company?...Inquiring minds wanna know

Without seeing the patient, this sounds like a case of Oversizitis to me. I don't like to pre judge, but can't tell from here what the problems are, if any. While oversizitis, a too large heating system, is not necessarily physically harmful but it can lead to a number of other symptoms in your home's comfort. Oversizitis is a common problem with many homes. Other symptoms include- uncomfortable rooms, uneven temperatures throughout the home, premature failure of motors, switches or other furnace components, high energy bills, among other problems.

Have a HVAC professional look the system over, this should be done each 2-3 years or even annually if your system deserves the best of care and attention. Even though we're in the middle of winter, it's never too late for a preventative maintenance visit, anyway. The pro can determine what, if any adjustments can be made - it could even be that a minor adjustment inside the thermostat is needed to lessen these effects.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

This does sound like you could be short cycling? (What was the out door temperature) You will need the unit supply temp and return temp. Room sizes, diffuser supply temps and diffuser return temps, outdoor temp and unit info.