mini split to heat water?

I'm going to be remodeling my vacation home. Currently it is heated by a woodstove and radiant staple up powered by an electric water heater. Since the floors are going to be ripped up I am moving the radiant to the top of the subfloor.

I will be installing a multizone ductless heatpump system. Is there any ductless systems that can use one zone to heat water? This would by much more efficient than the water heater.

I see on Fujitsu's website they make a split air to water heatpump system, but this looks like it is for heating only and does not allow the connection of cooling units.

Daikin Altherma. Awesome system and can use heads for heating and cooling, plus do radiant and domestic hot water.
    The Lord must love stupid people or he wouldn't have made so many.

Why is it that when I am in a hurry, everyone else on the road goes 15 MPH under the speed limit?

That looks great. Do you know if you can run glycol in the heating loop? I can not find mention of it in the instruction manuals i found online. It needs to be freeze protected down to about 0 degrees.

City Multi with a heat exchanger.
    Local 449?

Temperature ranges

Quote Originally Posted by Au-en-boy View Post
    Daikin Altherma. Awesome system and can use heads for heating and cooling, plus do radiant and domestic hot water.
    Hi! I'm new in the trade and I don't know all the terms or the way you guys do things over there, so sorry in advance if I sound stupid!

But this Daikin looks interesting, I wonder whether it would work over here in Finland? Where I am it can go down to -30 deg C, albeit briefly. Most of the time we are above the -20C (-4F) that Daikin says on this page http://www.daikinac.com/residential/...oducts&page=53

What kind of climate are you in, if I may ask? Do you have experience of these at such colder temperatures?

Thanks!

I don't know of any model of air-water heat pump that's rated for less than -20C. That's not saying they won't work if it gets colder than that, they simply switch over to an electric immersion heater. Most units have 2 heaters. You can also choose to run only the immersion heater, if you wanted to for some reason. You can also program to run only the heat pump and never that immersion heater, only to heat water, or whatever combination you desire.

The Mitsubishi Hydrolution also has a cooling function, as well as units from NIBE. Nibe basically uses their own inside unit and a Mitsubishi outdoor unit.

daikin is first to introduce their altherma system, but as competition enforces keeping up, now there is number of manufacturers who offer similar systems, air-water heat pumps with domestic hot water heating interface.

ability to work at lower outdoor temperature is better, yet it makes little sense to insist on system that will offer whole-year heating without electrical boosting for simple reason that heat pumps efficiency drops too much at lower outdoor temperature and systems would be largely oversized in climates with few cold days or would be very inefficient for climates with many cold days.