distribution tubes

went on a call today distribution tubes rubbed together and lost the charge it had a hair line crack. i can see it happened in the past on a another set someone used a 1/4'' piece of copper as a coupling. now being that the refrigerant goes through the orifice then through the shower head if it expanded into the little coupling deal. it it a big deal? i just brazed right over my crack with light heat i didnt want the brazing rod to be all watery and go into the crack and clogg up the distibution tube. i guess my question is how is the best way to repair them on a rub through. im sure if it was on cap tube being the metering device them definately you dont want to us some coupling because the ref. will expand inside. looking for some info or maybe im over thinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    went on a call today distribution tubes rubbed together and lost the charge it had a hair line crack. i can see it happened in the past on a another set someone used a 1/4'' piece of copper as a coupling. now being that the refrigerant goes through the orifice then through the shower head if it expanded into the little coupling deal. it it a big deal? i just brazed right over my crack with light heat i didnt want the brazing rod to be all watery and go into the crack and clogg up the distibution tube. i guess my question is how is the best way to repair them on a rub through. im sure if it was on cap tube being the metering device them definately you dont want to us some coupling because the ref. will expand inside. looking for some info or maybe im over thinking it.
    I have fixed several small cracks just like you did and they re running strong still years later.

Either way is fine, and yes you can use 1/4 inch to patch a cap tube. It won't "expand" in the coupling. Think of a sight glass...

Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post
    Either way is fine, and yes you can use 1/4 inch to patch a cap tube. It won't "expand" in the coupling. Think of a sight glass...
    like a sight glass or even a liquid line filter dryer. i was thinking thats ok since its on the liquid line as long as its filled with ref and has a solid colum of ref in it. but being that its after the metering device i wasnt sure?

Place a small amount of refrigerant oil on the end of the distribution tube being careful to not get any on the outside of the return bend. Make sure both dist tube & return are sanded good then make splice repair. The oil will keep the solder from clogging the port, good luck.