Thread: What is this???

What is this???

Plan called for economizer mixing boxes to be installed on the bottom of the furnace, with the return air coming out the side, and the OA coming out the back. This is what we got.

• 5 ton systems, not sure what kind of mixing boxes these are, but they aren't right. oa choked down to 6/24 and return air choked to 8/24.
    • On two of the units, the mixing box is install on the OA duct, left side of furnace, the return is ducted into the right side of the furnace.
    • Why bother to glue the vent piping???
    • The OA intakes are supposed to be 16/20 with 1/2" mesh on the inlet, we get resi style inlet hoods. yup, that will work.

The condensers arn't even wired (low voltage) and this contractor called the job done. There is also a 10 item punch list from the engineer. I found 8 more things he missed.
    How do these guys live with themselves
    Attached Images Attached Images      

With 5 ton systems the return needs to go into both sides, bottom or bottom/side combination. I did a bottom/side installation for my 3 ton system. It's just me!

yea, but there isn't return air ducted into both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller257 View Post
    yea, but there isn't return air ducted into both sides.
    It's hard to tell from the pictures. One furnace (on the right) for sure is incorrect. The other picture (of the other furnace) looks like there is a return "drop" on both sides.............but it's not clear.

Also looks like the flue terminations are not factory approved.

Looks like 10 lbs of s@&$ in a 5 lbs bag. I would have put furnaces on pedestal boxes to get side and bottom air flow. Guess you get what u pay for. Cheepest bid doesn't equal best work.

i dont believe there is any furnace (trane, carrier, lennox, rheem...) that you can get 2000cfm out of the side.

it either needs to be both sides cut into, a side and a bottom or just the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Jkb79 View Post
    Looks like 10 lbs of s@&$ in a 5 lbs bag. I would have put furnaces on pedestal boxes to get side and bottom air flow. Guess you get what u pay for. Cheepest bid doesn't equal best work.
    They were supposed to be mounted on a mixing box with return out of the side and OA out of the back, guess he can't read plans either.

Residential hacks I swear. If you'll cant do any type of commercial, stay off the porch. Well, wait, never mind. Find a new career
    " dirty filter??!!! Buts its only 2 years old" You never learn everything you need to know is this industry

Is this a strtup you were doing for the company you work for? Install guys work with your company?
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

• 5 ton systems, not sure what kind of mixing boxes these are, but they aren't right. oa choked down to 6/24 and return air choked to 8/24.
    • On two of the units, the mixing box is install on the OA duct, left side of furnace, the return is ducted into the right side of the furnace.

• The OA intakes are supposed to be 16/20 with 1/2" mesh on the inlet, we get resi style inlet hoods. yup, that will work.

There is also a 10 item punch list from the engineer.
    So this job was "designed" by the in jun ear?
    He sized the ductwork?
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

haha it was a bid spec job, that the installing contractor decided to re-engineer.

haha it was a bid spec job, that the installing contractor decided to re-engineer.
    He would be in deep do do here.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM