Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I wanted to post a followup to my first message and let everyone know the status. I've also got another question.

I got a quote for install a fan to blow in fresh air. It will go in my small bedroom...which is right above my neighbor's 'designated smoking room.' In the meantime, while home, I've been keeping a window in there open a crack with a mini fan running to blow air in. It seems to be helping quite a bit with the air that had been blowing out the intake vents when the furnace isn't running. So, thank you for that advice.

Now for my secondary question. When the furnace does run, it is still blowing out smelly air. Filtered, but smelly nonetheless. Right now I'm using a filtrete odor reduction 1" filter. It might help a little bit, but not enough, plus I'm concerned about air flow. more info here.

I want to upgrade to a better filter 4" or some type of air cleaner on my furnace, but until that's financially feasible, what's the best 1" filter you can recommend? I don't care if I have to buy through a contractor, online, whatever. The only caveat is that it must be a cardboard frame. The way my furnace is situated, I dont' have enough clearance in front and have to bend the filter slightly to get it in. (another issue to be fixed down the road.)

Any suggestions on highest merv I should use, better brands for airflow, etc? I know there are a million considerations that are normally taken into account, but generally speaking.... thoughts?

thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by orangeena View Post
    I 've been keeping a window in there open a crack with a mini fan running to blow air in. It seems to be helping quite a bit with the air that had been blowing out the intake vents when the furnace isn't running. So, thank you for that advice.

Now for my secondary question. When the furnace does run, it is still blowing out smelly air. Filtered, but smelly nonetheless. Right now I'm using a filtrete odor reduction 1" filter. It might help a little bit, but not enough, plus I'm concerned about air flow. more info here.

I want to upgrade to a better filter 4" or some type of air cleaner on my furnace, but until that's financially feasible, what's the best 1" filter you can recommend? I don't care if I have to buy through a contractor, online, whatever. The only caveat is that it must be a cardboard frame. The way my furnace is situated, I dont' have enough clearance in front and have to bend the filter slightly to get it in. (another issue to be fixed down the road.)

Any suggestions on highest merv I should use, better brands for airflow, etc? I know there are a million considerations that are normally taken into account, but generally speaking.... thoughts?

thanks again...
    Sounds like the negative pressure in your air handler's return ducts is sucking nieghbors air into your space. Difficult to filter this. You would need a deep carbon bed on a merv 14 air filter. This may not be possible. Moving would work best.
    Also caution, limit the amount of fresh air being brought in during high outdoor dew points. An air change in 4-5 hours minimum amount of fresh air needed to purge indoor pollutants.
    Keep us posted.
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

It's a crying shame when one has to breath the exhaust from someones cancer sticks and have no recourse to hold smokers liable.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    It's a crying shame when one has to breath the exhaust from someones cancer sticks and have no recourse to hold smokers liable.
    Just what we need more litigation and more nannie state intrusion. Last I checked you are allowed to smoke in your home.

Why not just make smoking illegal. It's worked wonders with drugs and I still can't believe they let alcohol be legal again.
    We shall never prevent the abuse of power if we are not
    prepared to limit power in a way which occasionally may
    prevent its use for desirable purposes.

F.A. Hayek

Perhaps a erv would be beneficial? Instead of ducting 100% of the exhaust outdoors a portion (say 50%) would be exhausted and the other 50% would be dumped into the home. For example bringing in 150 cfm of air and exhausting 75. This would pressurize the building as TB suggested and allow the removal of additional pollutants. This will do so in a more economical way.

You mention that you have an air cleaner, but is it an air cleaner designed for smoke? If you just have a hepa air cleaner, I don't think it would do much for smoke. If you have the money, there are air cleaners specifically designed for smoke/chemicals/vocs, etc. A good example is the Airpura T600 which is specifically designed for smoke/tar and has a 26lb carbon filter. Unfortunately, it costs almost $900, so not sure if that is an option. There are other high end brands too. If you can afford it, I would run this in your living space during the day and bedroom at night. Obviously, it is better to eliminate the source than try to clean the air but it doesn't sound like you can completely do this. The idea of a window fan for positive pressure seems like a good and economical idea. An HRV air exchanger might also be good idea if you have a place to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyp19 View Post
    Just what we need more litigation and more nannie state intrusion. Last I checked you are allowed to smoke in your home.

Why not just make smoking illegal. It's worked wonders with drugs and I still can't believe they let alcohol be legal again.
    If you live in a condo you should be held liable for second hand smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    Perhaps a erv would be beneficial? Instead of ducting 100% of the exhaust outdoors a portion (say 50%) would be exhausted and the other 50% would be dumped into the home. For example bringing in 150 cfm of air and exhausting 75. This would pressurize the building as TB suggested and allow the removal of additional pollutants. This will do so in a more economical way.
    Better to find out how much make-up air is required to is needed to overcome the movement of smoke into the condo.
    Also exhausting some air from the smokers condo would help. Most smokers understand the need to assist in control of smoke. Its worth the conversation. Exhausting 100 cfm from the offending condo and 100 cfm of fresh make-up would change the world. You may find much less ventilation is require. Positive pressure is the key, not ventilating after the smoke as entered the space.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

another update...

Quote Originally Posted by dannyp19 View Post
    Actually, I've done some research. Constitutionally, there is no such thing as a 'right to smoke'...even in your own home. The courts have backed this up in a variety of ways. In some cases, people have lost custody of kids, solely because they smoke, condo boards and apartment owners can immediately and retroactively set a building-wide no smoking policy which the law has upheld, etc. I'm not trying to make my neighbors stop smoking....just stop their air from infiltrating my space.

The way I see it (and the way the condo board of my building is approaching it), a person has as much right to smoke in their home as they do to blast music at 12 am. It's common courtesy. You can smoke, play music, do anything you want, but don't disrupt the neighbors.

As an update, I can actually say that the situation is vastly improved in the past few days. It's not perfect, but the neighbors are being very cooperative and had been looking into an exhaust fan and an air purifier. I haven't had a chance to check in on the specifics, but something that they did recently has made a big difference. It's not 100% yet and I still get wafts of smoke here and there, but I no longer feel like I'm walking into a smoking lounge when I come home.

I currently have a honeywell HEPA purifier with af flimsy carbon pre-filter that I had purchased a year or so ago for allergies. I know there are much better models out there for smoke, but at the moment they are cost-prohibitive for me. And, hopefully, they won't be needed.

thanks again for all the advice. it greatly helped my sanity over the past month or so.

Good to hear you have found a solution. Second hand smoke SUCKS, just like the smokers suckin their cigs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12