Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Airflow problem with Rheem

    Rheem RGRM 105,000 BTU 95% 2-STAGE FURNACE Variable Speed and my furnace is very loud.. Model RGRM10EZAJS

    the air is coming more.. not sure, what I have to do.. lot of noise..
    Can you help me the steps to reduce the noice..

    I have a 1961 furnace replaced yesterday, the old one is very quite, but this one is to noisy -- and also, if I sit beside the vent, it is hurting my ears..

    Is it a speed issue. Old one has a 100 BTU and replaced with 105 BTU..

    Night also coming so loud and the air from vents are noise with forced air..

    Can we decrease the air flow?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,440

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,908
    Quote Originally Posted by choodi View Post
    Rheem RGRM 105,000 BTU 95% 2-STAGE FURNACE Variable Speed and my furnace is very loud.. Model RGRM10EZAJS

    the air is coming more.. not sure, what I have to do.. lot of noise..
    Can you help me the steps to reduce the noice..

    I have a 1961 furnace replaced yesterday, the old one is very quite, but this one is to noisy -- and also, if I sit beside the vent, it is hurting my ears..

    Is it a speed issue. Old one has a 100 BTU and replaced with 105 BTU..

    Night also coming so loud and the air from vents are noise with forced air..

    Can we decrease the air flow?
    How was it determined that you needed 105K Input furnace? That is a lot of heat, my furnace is only 57,000-Btuh Output & it handles a 1937 farm home, with a lot of windows, in SW WI with a winter design of around a minus -13-F & handles the temp & wind conditions for two seasons now with ease.

    Replaced with a 105K 95% furnace the output Btu requires over 1600-CFM with a 60-F temp-rise over return air temp.
    Perhaps the blower settings are not right...talk to the contractor about the problem.

    It appears there is too much airflow for the existing duct size causing excess fpm velocities.

    What sizes are the Return air grilles & filter areas? At 1600-CFM there ought to be two large return air filter grilles. There also needs to be adequate depth to the duct so that doesn't restrict the area of the filter or a return air grille.

    It appears, there are problems that need to be resolved.

    Tell us about your home, where you live & what you can about the duct system

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    33,934
    Good grief! Old furnace had output of 80,000 BTU, new one is around 100,000 BTU. Old one likely oversized. Pretty rare that we don't put in a lot smaller furnace when we replace due to oversizing in the past and the higher efficiency. Rheem doesn't allow much change to heating blower speeds to keep the furnace from overheating and with the variable speed blower, it will try harder to push that large amount of air through an undersized duct system.

    Someone needs to do a load calc and see just what size you NEED.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,778
    Most homes around here, that old 100,000 BTU could have been replaced with a 60,000 BTU. Which is about what duct work is usually good for.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Most homes around here, that old 100,000 BTU could have been replaced with a 60,000 BTU. Which is about what duct work is usually good for.


    Oh k, then I made a mistake. so what is the solution for me. I am trying to reduce the speed, but still I am not able to.



    I am from seattle, WA..
    may be I need to call contractor..

    Can you any one help me, the setting for this furnace.


    I setup the pins on 5 and 6 no change..

    and I see.. 9 is for air flow..
    and 1 and 2 for heating..

    Is it ok, if I setup 9 on and 1 on and 2 off.. will I get less flow..

    or do I need to setup as 9 off and 1 on and 2 off..

    currently 1 and 2, 9 are off..

    I tried the pins 5 and 6 different combinations, no change in air flow.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    20,965
    You really should NOT be messing with that part of the furnace... you do not understand what you are doing.

    This is not a DIY forum... we are not allowed to give out DIY information.

    Call your contractor before you cause damage to your new system that is NOT covered under warranty.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    3,080
    Quote Originally Posted by choodi View Post
    Oh k, then I made a mistake. so what is the solution for me. I am trying to reduce the speed, but still I am not able to.



    I am from seattle, WA..
    may be I need to call contractor..

    Can you any one help me, the setting for this furnace.


    I setup the pins on 5 and 6 no change..

    and I see.. 9 is for air flow..
    and 1 and 2 for heating..

    Is it ok, if I setup 9 on and 1 on and 2 off.. will I get less flow..

    or do I need to setup as 9 off and 1 on and 2 off..

    currently 1 and 2, 9 are off..

    I tried the pins 5 and 6 different combinations, no change in air flow.
    So you installed this yourself?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

    The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

    Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,588
    Yikes lol

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,778
    Quote Originally Posted by choodi View Post
    Oh k, then I made a mistake. so what is the solution for me. I am trying to reduce the speed, but still I am not able to.



    I am from seattle, WA..
    may be I need to call contractor..

    Can you any one help me, the setting for this furnace.


    I setup the pins on 5 and 6 no change..

    and I see.. 9 is for air flow..
    and 1 and 2 for heating..

    Is it ok, if I setup 9 on and 1 on and 2 off.. will I get less flow..

    or do I need to setup as 9 off and 1 on and 2 off..

    currently 1 and 2, 9 are off..

    I tried the pins 5 and 6 different combinations, no change in air flow.
    Slowing the blower down could cause you lots of trouble. Check the temp rise of the furnace. It may be too high already. Might need to pull it out and install the right size.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,588
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Slowing the blower down could cause you lots of trouble. Check the temp rise of the furnace. It may be too high already. Might need to pull it out and install the right size.
    I'm sure the system is crying for someone to put it down lol

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    6,485
    If you lower the blower speed too much you could very possibly compromise the heat exchanger in a very short amount of time. Sounds like you need to take that furnace out, do a load calc, and put the correct size furnace in. Also make sure the supply and return duct is adequate for the new furnace. There is probably no way to modify the duct you have to compensate for the grossly oversized furnace you have installed short of adding a large addition to your house.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event