Thread: anti-gravity drip leg

Post Likes

anti-gravity drip leg

Eh, thats close enough
    Name:  20130223_112233.jpg
Views: 1964
Size:  50.5 KB

Post Likes
    Hey, at least they had sense enough to put it at a change in direction of gas flow.
    It doesn't look like it is a minimum of 4 inches though..

Post Likes
    I think the valve should be upstream of that ... Thing

Post Likes
    The last few connections before finally getting the new gas line to the gas valve, you look in the box of fittings sent with you for the job and all you have left is........... the picture above.
    Or
    My buddy went with me to the big box store to get the water heater and the piping we figured we'd need. 2 six packs later we figure out we're short a few parts. The store is further away than either of us figure we can drive without getting arrested for DUI. Wife wants hot water NOW! We'll fix it tomorrow when we sober up.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    It doesn't look like it is a minimum of 4 inches though..
    prior to my gas license test, the instructor noted that the new code did not mention any length in the new code book. We deferred to the prior book that did list a length, though I thought it was 3".
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I have seen a lot of gas supplies that had the Union BEFORE the shut off....
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Post Likes
    That's not a drip leg, that's an expansion port! What's a drip leg?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post
    That's not a drip leg, that's an expansion port! What's a drip leg?
    Its piped like that so you can unthread that cap and thread in a boiler drain for your hose......thus, a drip leg....drip....drip.......drip.................boo ooooommmmm.

Post Likes
    Silly boys. That's not a drop leg. It's a clean out.

Post Likes
    Well I guess they didn't leak test with a lighter. Otherwise you wouldn't have a pic of lovely craftsmanship there. It drove me nuts, a tech I used to work under would do that. Scared the hell out of me.
    " dirty filter??!!! Buts its only 2 years old" You never learn everything you need to know is this industry

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    The last few connections before finally getting the new gas line to the gas valve, you look in the box of fittings sent with you for the job and all you have left is........... the picture above.
    Or
    My buddy went with me to the big box store to get the water heater and the piping we figured we'd need. 2 six packs later we figure out we're short a few parts. The store is further away than either of us figure we can drive without getting arrested for DUI. Wife wants hot water NOW! We'll fix it tomorrow when we sober up.
    Yep. Ran outta 90s.

Post Likes
    I saw a tv show on how things are made, they showed quality control at a water heater manufacturer test running a new heater and checking for gas leaks with a lighter. I couldn't believe they would show that on tv, they didn't say that's what they were doing, but why else would you pass a flame over the connections.

Post Likes
    I ran a gas line last year and caught a whiff when I was done. I had struggled slightly when lining up the union and thought I would check there first. But I said this out loud and before I could move the senior tech had his lighter out and lit the small leak at the union. Nice little blue flame.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    I ran a gas line last year and caught a whiff when I was done. I had struggled slightly when lining up the union and thought I would check there first. But I said this out loud and before I could move the senior tech had his lighter out and lit the small leak at the union. Nice little blue flame.
    The senior tech I was under years ago did that in a church attic. Wasn't a lot of room to move, needless to say I almost made a new access hole when he pulled out his lighter. First time I had ever seen that, didnt know what to expect.
    " dirty filter??!!! Buts its only 2 years old" You never learn everything you need to know is this industry

Post Likes
    I did that once, didn't have any elbows left. It looked tacky but was completely legal and safe.

Post Likes
    2009 IRC G2419.4 Sediment trap. Where a sediment trap is not incorporated as part of the appliance, a sediment trap shall be installed downstream of the appliance shutoff valve as close to the inlet of the appliance as practical. The sediment trap shall be either a tee fitting having a capped nipple of any length installed vertically in the bottom-most opening of the tee or other device approved as an effective sediment trap. Illuminating appliances, ranges, clothes dryers and outdoor grilles need not be so equipped.

Aside from testing for gas leaks with an open flame being illegal per the code and the obvious insanity, it is worthless for leaks under 44,000 ppm NG or 21,500ppm LPG since those are the lower flammability limits. Leaks under these levels can NOT be detected by an open flame.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in