Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering new furnace

Post Likes

Considering new furnace

We are looking to having our first floor Lennox G40 replaced. There's nothing wrong with it now, we just want the proper size installed and want variable speed to help with dehumidification in the summer and to boost the efficiency up on our Trane XR15 to 16 seer.

We had a contractor come in today and evaluated the ductwork and performed a manual j. He was very professional and didn't try to oversell us. The contractor that came in last week was from the same company who installed the XR15, and the estimates were too high, so I threw those out. He performed a manual j as well. I won't mention prices since it's not allowed here.

We were quoted on Trane, Lennox, and Amana. These were from the contractor who came in today.

Trane quote: XV80 TUD2C080B9V4VA 2-stage, variable speed. lifetime warranty on heat exchanger. 10 year on parts.

Lennox quote: SL280UH090V48B 2-stage, variable speed. 20 year warranty on heat exchanger. 10 year on parts.

Amana quote: AMVC80604B*B 2-stage, variable speed (of course, this came in as the cheapest of the three). comes with lifetime unit replacement warranty, 10 year on parts.

*No matter which route we go, the ductwork WILL be upgraded. (Y'all probably remember the pics I posted in one of my last threads. The current ductwork is horrible) Some returns will be added as well. The current Honeywell visionpro IAQ thermostat will remain. No need to swap it out. One nice thing about the contractor, he started off doing installs, then service, then worked his way up to sales consultant. He's been in the industry for about 20 years.

We will most likely go with the Amana, but I'm starting to think that mixing brands in not a good idea. The contractor said that you can have a different brand furnace, as long as the A/C and coil match. Is this true??? He didn't recommend a 95% efficient furnace due to the relatively warm winters Atlanta has. I do know that install is more important than brand. We also have the option for an air cleaner. Which route do you think we should go? Sorry about the long post. We decided to go ahead and leave our basement system (Trane XR11) alone and only have the ductwork replaced for it. Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    No trouble mixing brands as long as you aren't after a certain A/C efficiency rating. Regardless, that XR15 will really be 15 SEER with a VS blower though without a Trane furnace, you won't have an official rating. That unit usually rates at 13 SEER with standard blower. If you are happy with the Amana option, no reason not to go that way.

Post Likes
    well said BaldLoonie..

I would not want two brands on one system because to me it's like having a Nike on one foot, and a NB on the other, but you could do it.

I have a 95% gas modulating furnace and love it, my bills have never been so low.

I have no opinion on uv lights, I never installed one, and don't come across them in the field.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

Post Likes
    Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. We still might consider the Trane, but it depends. I'm starting to my lean my decision away from Amana due to the fact that I can get 16 seer with a Trane variable speed furnace and not with an Amana. Since we have a dual fuel system, that's another reason why we're not getting quoted on 95% furnaces. The furnace won't run much, so no need for a higher efficient furnace. We thought about a UV light.

Post Likes
    This is Georgia location?

For what size living space?

What size is your XR15 condenser?

You realize going to a two stage furnace, you will need a true TWo stage thermostat or else you will beon high stage all the time whether needed or not. This is a big deal for best functionality, performance, and operating cost for these furnaces.

Anything about a whole house filter media cabinet?

I know you don't have to have same brand as the condenser but you would have an unrated system that might not give you the best performance/efficiency numbers that system is capable of achieving.

Any idea what evap coil mdl number you have?

Post back.

IMO

Post Likes
    The most improtant is that het indoor evaporator coil is a match with the compressor. After that, its' just a matter of pushing airacross it, as long as the dimensions fo the furance are similar and it's transition cleanly, the actual efficeincy will be virtually the same. (probably within 0.25 seer for equivalent blowers and motors). So it won't be certified and you can't get rebates or credits, but the equipemnt can't tell the different. Actually to refrigerant, all it sees is a copper tube. There could be air or water on the other side and it will happily heats or cool the copper.

Post Likes
    15 to 16 seer worth the upgrade in single stage? Nah, amana is good and that lennox furnace is just awesome. Don't overpay for the locomotive.

QUOTE=545GAlady;15295081]Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. We still might consider the Trane, but it depends. I'm starting to my lean my decision away from Amana due to the fact that I can get 16 seer with a Trane variable speed furnace and not with an Amana. Since we have a dual fuel system, that's another reason why we're not getting quoted on 95% furnaces. The furnace won't run much, so no need for a higher efficient furnace. We thought about a UV light.[/QUOTE]

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    This is Georgia location?

For what size living space?

What size is your XR15 condenser?

You realize going to a two stage furnace, you will need a true TWo stage thermostat or else you will beon high stage all the time whether needed or not. This is a big deal for best functionality, performance, and operating cost for these furnaces.

Anything about a whole house filter media cabinet?

I know you don't have to have same brand as the condenser but you would have an unrated system that might not give you the best performance/efficiency numbers that system is capable of achieving.

Any idea what evap coil mdl number you have?

Post back.

IMO
    We are located in Georgia, just outside of Atlanta. The XR15 is 3.5 tons, and the first level is 2200 sq ft. The unit was installed back in April and the contractor performed a heat load calculation and it came up to 3.5. Our old unit was 3.5 ton as well. Here's the model number of the heat pump: 4TWR5042E1000AB
    and for the indoor coil: 4TXCB042BC3HCBE.

Isn't the Honeywell visionpro IAQ compatible with two-stage? The contractor yesterday did mention a media air cleaner.

Thanks for the input.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by caincompany View Post
    15 to 16 seer worth the upgrade in single stage? Nah, amana is good and that lennox furnace is just awesome. Don't overpay for the locomotive.

QUOTE=545GAlady;15295081]Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. We still might consider the Trane, but it depends. I'm starting to my lean my decision away from Amana due to the fact that I can get 16 seer with a Trane variable speed furnace and not with an Amana. Since we have a dual fuel system, that's another reason why we're not getting quoted on 95% furnaces. The furnace won't run much, so no need for a higher efficient furnace. We thought about a UV light.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah 15 to 16 seer is not whole lot, but that's not the main reason why we wanna upgrade. We have an SL280v in our upstairs system and it's just fantastic. However, that whole system is unmatched since the outdoor unit is an Amana, as well as the coil. So at least the coil and condenser match.

Post Likes
    You should be able to find a furnace from lennox to match capacity needs for what you have

Post Likes
    So are you saying that I need to find a Lennox furnace that matches the capacity of the first floor system?

Post Likes
    Yea, go for it and enjoy! Airflow can be adjust in many ways to match way cooling system is designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by 545GAlady View Post
    So are you saying that I need to find a Lennox furnace that matches the capacity of the first floor system?

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input. I'm still having a lot of trouble deciding on what to go with. I would like to get the extra seer, but the cost is higher for the Trane. In fact, the Trane and Lennox price is the same. The Amana is cheaper. I'm still wondering about 95% efficient furnaces because we have some neighbors who have them and enjoy them. Do you think condensing furnaces are worth it down here?

The problem is, I don't want to mismatch brands due to the fact you won't receive the full efficiency of the system.

Post Likes
    the savings is going to come from the varible speed motor as ecm motors consume less energy if the duct work is sized properly.no matter the brand they all use the same motor. you might need a oversized furnace to get the full seer rating .

Post Likes
    Sure, the 95% furnaces are nice, a lot more up front cost but it does save you money. Of course in Atlanta the savings wouldnt be like it would in northern Michigan. Either way you can use what ever brand you want, as long as the airflow from the furnace is set up right. You would have to do that with trane or lennox or amana.

Post Likes
    Thanks very much! We are leaning towards the Amana, but we might have one more company come out to give us an estimate. I've always wondered what brand ECM motors are used on these three furnace brands. I know the brand of the motor won't matter much, but I'm just curious. Do any of you know?

Post Likes
    One more question, Are Goodman/Amana furnaces loud? I've heard they are but I'm not so sure. We really want a quiet furnace. Of course condensing furnaces will still be quieter than 80% efficient furnaces.

Post Likes
    Quiet but not like lennox

Post Likes
    Ok thanks! We are short on return on the whole system, with only 7 8 inch returns. There's a total of three ducts coming off the return box which two of them are 10 inch. The other one is either 10 or 12 inch (most likely 10). The contractor mentioned that another return will have to be added, but it can't be added through the wall unless its a new construction, according to code. A new return will have to be installed in the floor. The current returns are located low on the sidewall. A 3.5 ton system needs 1400 cfm,and our current furnace has a 4 ton blower which can go up to 1600 cfm. I'm surprised he didn't exactly say what size return should be added. What do you think? Unfortunately, I don't think we're able to downsize on the furnace since the heat pump is 3.5 ton, which requires 1400 cfm. Is there is a brand that has a 70,000 BTU furnace with a 4 ton blower? Our current furnace sometimes short cycles. It heats up the floor in short period of time.

Post Likes
    You can use the sl280v, it has adjustable airflow and two stage heat.

Quote Originally Posted by 545GAlady View Post
    Ok thanks! We are short on return on the whole system, with only 7 8 inch returns. There's a total of three ducts coming off the return box which two of them are 10 inch. The other one is either 10 or 12 inch (most likely 10). The contractor mentioned that another return will have to be added, but it can't be added through the wall unless its a new construction, according to code. A new return will have to be installed in the floor. The current returns are located low on the sidewall. A 3.5 ton system needs 1400 cfm,and our current furnace has a 4 ton blower which can go up to 1600 cfm. I'm surprised he didn't exactly say what size return should be added. What do you think? Unfortunately, I don't think we're able to downsize on the furnace since the heat pump is 3.5 ton, which requires 1400 cfm. Is there is a brand that has a 70,000 BTU furnace with a 4 ton blower? Our current furnace sometimes short cycles. It heats up the floor in short period of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in