Thumbs up One Possible Alternative

In other threads we discussed ideas for solutions to different problems. Go see what the boys at Ben & Jerry's have been up to. A poster in the Refrigeration Section offered up this link. Say what you will about their political stance, at least they're not afraid to try...

http://www.benjerry.com/our_company/sounds_cool/

The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Hmmm. interesting. but what is the magic liquid.

I don't know. Glycol, maybe?
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

and what about a change of state, how else would you absorb or reject heat.

I'm not sure. It looks as though they may have eliminated the need for "Change of State" as we think of it. Fellas, if this technology proves out, our entire industry is about to go through it's own "Change of State". Might not be a bad thing.

with one liquid hot all the time and the other cold all the time I don't see a transfer.

The transfer appears to take place in the Plates via conduction.

It looked to me like the plates were keeping one cold and the other hot

It's an interaction between sound and heat.
    If the sound waves are manipulated in the right way, heat can be moved around.
    Souped up sound/pressure waves with an inert gas as a medium.
    Cool indeed.

It will be interesting if it ever makes it past research. From what i can see, the system needs a computer to make it work and the prototype was immense in size for a small novelty box and probably had a seer rating that did not quantify mentioning

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    with one liquid hot all the time and the other cold all the time I don't see a transfer.
    Think of it as a chiller system with a glycol loop on the condenser. You have glycol looping through the cold plates and the case cooling the case and a glycol loop on the hot side cooling the "condenser" and going through either a fan coil or water heat/x to get rid of the heat.