+ Reply to Thread

Thread: York YSCACAS2CFBS Condenser Head Studs

Post Likes

York YSCACAS2CFBS Condenser Head Studs

Has anyone ever came across studs that had to be replaced on the Condenser Side Head of a York YSC? My customer wants us to replace the studs and nuts as they cannot remove the heads because of the corrosion. Are these studs welded to the frame or barrel? or can we just remove the stud and replace? Thanks for the help.

Post Likes
    Studs are welded to the end sheet. I've seen many evaporator with corroded nuts due to moisture, but I've never seen that happen on the condenser side. If done properly the nuts can be heated and removed from the studs. Replacing the studs will be a challenge.

Post Likes
    KnewYork,

Thanks for the info,this one shound be fun! Be safe and have a great week.

Post Likes
    I'm not familiar with the machine but maybe you could use a nut splitter if one would fit. Sometimes they can be less traumatic the stud. One things for sure get it clean! Good luck, stud change doesn't sound fun.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    I'm not familiar with the machine but maybe you could use a nut splitter if one would fit. Sometimes they can be less traumatic the stud. One things for sure get it clean! Good luck, stud change doesn't sound fun.
    Nut splitters can and do work. Definitely a tool in the arsenal. I have used nut splitters and have also had success wire wheeling the stud and applying heat to the nut. Use a box wrench to remove rather than a socket so you can see if the nut is turning or you are twisting the stud. I've done some nasty evaporators and been successful in removing all the nuts w/o breaking a stud off.

It can be done. It requires diligence and patience. Both of which are more desirable than the task of welding in new studs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    Nut splitters can and do work. Definitely a tool in the arsenal. I have used nut splitters and have also had success wire wheeling the stud and applying heat to the nut. Use a box wrench to remove rather than a socket so you can see if the nut is turning or you are twisting the stud. I've done some nasty evaporators and been successful in removing all the nuts w/o breaking a stud off.

It can be done. It requires diligence and patience. Both of which are more desirable than the task of welding in new studs.
    I definitely agree with you. I just added the nut splitter incase op was unaware. If it was me I would probably wind up doing your way. It never fails... seems every time I need the nut splitter it doesn't fit.
    I would add though: generous amounts of kroil after cleaning/do your thing/ and when it's all done marine grade anti seize the studs reassemble and paint.

Post Likes
    All,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I do need to replace the studs on this one because of teh corrosion on the threads of the studs are gone for the most part. This machine has been neglected. I will let you know how it goes.

Post Likes
    I have used a thread file to clean and restore damaged or rusted threads after the nut has been removed. It can be a little time consuming but it can save you haveing to replace the damaged studs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon 19 View Post
    All,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I do need to replace the studs on this one because of teh corrosion on the threads of the studs are gone for the most part. This machine has been neglected. I will let you know how it goes.
    Good luck, and please keep us updated.

Post Likes
    I thought more about this situation and couldn't help but wonder what the tubes are going to look like. Under normal circumstances the condenser head would be removed annually at a minimum to brush the tubes. If the bolts are so rusted that they require replacement then I can only imagine how bad the tubes are going to look.

This chiller may be beyond help. How many hours are on it?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    I thought more about this situation and couldn't help but wonder what the tubes are going to look like. Under normal circumstances the condenser head would be removed annually at a minimum to brush the tubes. If the bolts are so rusted that they require replacement then I can only imagine how bad the tubes are going to look.

This chiller may be beyond help. How many hours are on it?
    Great point!

Post Likes
    not pretty broke one hade to have wellded also had a machine were got lucky grinded and had to drill tap install new bolts check your tubes really good when you get head off .time to brush . or rod time for eddycurent on tubes 'hellow lived in az for 28

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in