High Pressure Lock out

Have a couple questions about my heat pump. The hp is a ruud upql-030jez with a rgtm 070erbgs gas furnace. on saturday sometime while i was away from home the heat pump quit running. I am getting codes l23, and 28 out on the hp. I had the installing contractor come look at it today and he said the filter was dirty. the filter is a 3 month old 20x20x5 filter which according to him should last 12 months. would the filter cause this or is there something else going on?

23 is high pressure switch trip. Dirty filter certainly a cause since it causes low airflow and high pressure in heat mode. Any other cause of low airflow, such as improper blower speed setting, would do it as well. 3 months on a 5" filter is short but if the dust is very fine, that stops up airflow pretty quickly.

I never tell a customer they will get so many months, weeks, days etc. out of a filter. Absolutely no way for me or anyone else to know that. All filtering systems operate under different conditions depending on a crap load of variables. Air flow is important, very important and he should have instructed you to inspect the filter at least monthly until you got a feel for how quickly it was going to load.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

I usually change it every 4 to 6 months no matter. I wasnt at the house when the contractor was there yesterday but he pulled out the old filter and left it out. what is the best way to tell when a filter needs changed?

Airflow drop across filter can be measured.

There are filter restriction indicators available that will tell you when it needs changed. Inexpensive and easy to install. Ask your contractor or do a quick Google search.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM