Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    If you going full communicating...I highly suggest the XL950 stat over the 803.

The XL950 will allow you to be in control of every aspect of your system...from airflow to temp lockouts. Also, it is wifi enabled and you can remotely access the thermostat with a smart phone, tablet, or laptop.
    I thought that I could only go full communicating with the XL20i and TAM8 (rather than my XL16i and TAM7). Is that not correct?

The 16i and Tam7 have communicating ability, with correct setup.

to use the xl950 control with the tam7 you add a relay kit . also the xl16i performs much better with the tam7 than it did with the old 4tee air handlers due to the revised airflow
    We really need change now

Got load calcs, now which equipment

I was mistaken. You will need the Tam8 w/16i for a fully communicating system. Then you can use the XL950.

This would be my suggestion. With a fully comm. system, you will have absolute control over your system.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    I was mistaken. You will need the Tam8 w/16i for a fully communicating system. Then you can use the XL950.

This would be my suggestion. With a fully comm. system, you will have absolute control over your system.
    OK. I just thought that the original XL16i was a communicating model, but that the new XL16i is non-communicating and the 20i became the only communicating model. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by kmax1000 View Post
    OK. I just thought that the original XL16i was a communicating model, but that the new XL16i is non-communicating and the 20i became the only communicating model. Thanks for the input.
    You can still have installer install a 950 t-stat. He would need to install a relay panel at the air handler to make it work right.

950 t-stat is a great thermostat but will add to the cost of the system but gives you more control over the system even though not comm. I would just ask what the price diffrence in between the 803 t-stat vs the 950
    And see if still fits in your budget. Both are good t-stats but as stated above you will have more control over the system, full color display, remote access etc...

Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    You can still have installer install a 950 t-stat. He would need to install a relay panel at the air handler to make it work right.

950 t-stat is a great thermostat but will add to the cost of the system but gives you more control over the system even though not comm. I would just ask what the price diffrence in between the 803 t-stat vs the 950
    And see if still fits in your budget. Both are good t-stats but as stated above you will have more control over the system, full color display, remote access etc...
    OK, thanks!

Start with your house plan first

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-25-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

dradar, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Contractor 1: Equipment total load: 27,130 Btuh, required capacity of 2.6 tons, sized a 3 ton unit
    Contractor 2: Equipment total load: 21,178 Btuh, required capacity of 2.2 tons, sized a 2.5 ton unit
    This is incomplete information when matching a system to a structure.... There are numbers inside those numbers that make up those totals and can be manipulated by airflow for a better match.
    Your contractor should have two more numbers, a sensible number and a latent number. This will give you the Sensible Heat Ratio (SHR). Another set of numbers you need will come from the equipment expanded data (different equipment have different capacities at different design conditions and climates).

Thanks to all for the input. We ended up with a Trane 3-ton XL16i heat pump, 3-ton TAM8 air handler, and a XL900 thermostat (free upgrade from TAM7 and XL800 because out of stock ). Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by kmax1000 View Post
    Thanks to all for the input. We ended up with a Trane 3-ton XL16i heat pump, 3-ton TAM8 air handler, and a XL900 thermostat (free upgrade from TAM7 and XL800 because out of stock ). Thanks again!
    That is a great upgrade and a very nice system. The 900 is a good thermostat for this system also, and your installer can set up dehumidification options on it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123