Filter drier

Thread: Filter drier

Filter drier

Is there always a filter drier either inside or outside of the heat pump?I'm reading info for American Standard and nothing is specified,York is inside,Rheem is shipped with so I suppose the tech install it,Carrier is inside...Also there is a possibility to add a crankcase heater on some,is it better in cold region (was having that on old hp but was not a scroll compressor).Tks.

A system should always have a filter drier. Scroll compressor could survive longer without a cc heater if slugging happens. Yes, a very cold climate you might get liquid floodback sooo you can't go wrong with one.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

Every american standard heat pump that i worked on always had both a crankcase heater and filter drier.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

So they are inside the HP (into the scroll compressor?) and I have nothing to order for the Heritage series single stage ?Here in Canada,QC,infos are sometimes contradictory from sale people.In this case I was told that if the installation is made wright,you don't need it but if you have to open the line for a repair,then you have to put one...Go figure if there is nothing in the pamphlet but I must say it is in French so may be it is loss in the traduction.Tks.

The filter drier I've seen are right before the od txv when you open the side panel. They don't look like your normal filter drier they are all copper and about 2" in dia. The crankcase heater is a 5" or 6" probe type that slides along side of the bottom of the compressor.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I can see that in the pamphlet,as it is all copper I was thinking it was regular tubing.Tks,now I have all the info I need and I will go for the American Standard Heritage hp.

The stock spun driers don't have much capacity and are intended to have perfectly clean lines with all proper procedures followed.

Does it worth on a new installation to add a bi-directionnal filter drier on the line to try to maximise the longevity of the hp ? I was told that it is not a costly part.Tks

Lotta newer A-S/Trane pumps have a normal biflow drier inside the piping compartment. All recips in heat pumps have the sump heater under them. Can't say that all scrolls have them but I have seen scrolls with strapon heaters.

Well I called Deluxair the distibutor and was told Heritage series have drier filter and crankcase heater so I guess all is fine...Thanks all for your cooperation !