Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    SCtech- you got some reading to do. You don't pull a vaccum threw, your manifold it's not good practice. Get two basic flow kits from Appion and a good pump and a blu vac micron gauge and you will have the whole shebang

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    SCtech- you got some reading to do. You don't pull a vaccum threw, your manifold it's not good practice. Get two basic flow kits from Appion and a good pump and a blu vac micron gauge and you will have the whole shebang
    Every tech I know pulls through their manifold . . . Except me. I just use appion crts, 3/8 hoses and a tree with a yj micron gauge. Should of built the tree myself but whatever.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I have to seriously question the usage of a pump that has to be replaced twice a year...
    I don't know what to say but I have had terrible luck with them.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    i had the red jb pump i believe it was a jb. but anyways after i picked it up i seen several different brands with the same shape/ model with other names slapped on it. anyways i was working on a walk in freezer replace txv icecream was getting soft fast. so i rope my stuff to the roof i only make one knot through the pump i rope it up fine. until it hung up on the edge of the roof hatch and it dropped about 20' to the ground and oil went everywhere. the roof hatch was inside the store so the oil was everywehere on the floor and walls lol the oil cover broke in half. lucky thing i was close to my house 10 mins away. i had a spare
    I know. It was a similar situation except it was pouring rain and I was lowering my pump down. I guess my knot slipped out. I blame the rain. Every manufactuer should make some sort of eye a standard option so you can tie it off properly.

Quote Originally Posted by DDC_Dan View Post
    Cheap? PM me...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    i guess i cant PM yet.. Just shoot me an email

JB's hands down.

No gauges, No Vacuum Tree.

< System >

Suction Port-->Appion Core Tool---> 1/4 x 3/8" Yellow Jacket Vac Hose--> JB Vac Pump

High Side Port-->YJ Valve-->YJ 96075 Vacuum Gauge

Port=Service Valve
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    My company provides YJ super evac pumps.
    Most techs I know pull vacuum through the guage manifold and hoses, some have even splurged and bought core removal tools.
    Their time to pull 500 microns on standard 5 ton package unit...upto 45 minutes sometimes over an hour. For the first pull.

Me- I saved up and bought the appion mega flow kit, works great with ANY vacuum pump.
    Loved it so much I both the TEZ8 and let's just say I can safely triple evac a system & nitro sweep in about 15-20 minutes.
    Total.

I'm a bit of a tool addict, though.
    I hear good things about the JB 10cfm pump.
    To be honest I would start by investing in a good evacuation rig, good micron guage which can read from 760,000 microns down to at least 50. Ideally 1.
    Then tinker with your existing setup to see what kind of results you get.
    You will be amazed once you use a micron guage and CRT's you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner!'

I have used the J/B Platinum quite a bit. It is an excellent pump and has a handy rope eye built in. I have a 5 CFM which is plenty for most things. Know a guy that has a small one (1.5CFM I think) and if used with valve core removers, large hoses, etc. it is faster than a 5CFM through a standard gauge manifold. Like others have said you are better off improving what you have between the pump and the system if you want to increase speed. Try sucking a slurpee through a coffee straw then through a slurpee straw. Really doesn't matter how hard you suck through the coffee straw. Don't have any experience with the YJ, but the J/B has proven itself reliable on the hot rooftops of Phoenix. It has a finned aluminum housing to keep the pump and oil cool which is also a very tough housing.

Quote Originally Posted by SCtech33 View Post
    I also agree with the fact that a pump will only do so much based on your setup. The main reason im asking about only pumps is because its a required tool for my upcoming promotion and I wont get the money with the promotion if I don't have the tools on the list. That being said 1/2" hoses aren't on the list however a micron gauge is. I will probably end up just get the vg64 like ive always used and have grown to like....but I am looking into the sman4 manifold also so I want to get something that will work with the larger hose setup. Im not real knowledgeable on this subject but I have seen discussions about measuring the true vacuum based on location of the micron gauge. so that being said I would want something closer to what im pulling a vacuum on?correct me if im wrong.

Little advice.

As I read this, I'm getting the impression that you're buying the minimum required to "get by"

While this strategy might suffice for a while, you'll be MUCH better served over the long term by buying better quality tools.

Just think a minute or two about the flow through a typical manifold vs the flow through larger, less obstructed hoses and you'll quickly see the difference.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1104411 Here's a nice thread with a great demonstration and explanation of how to pull a vacuum and how fast a proper setup can do it.

I also understand doing what you've got to to get the promotion and raise.

Appion is #1. Yellow jacket super evac is #2. I have not tried them all but these are great.

thanks for all the additional info guys. I had a discussion with my boss about how come hes never brought up the fact of a proper vacuum pull and the cost of the stuff im ordering is the exact reason, but I showed him some videos of how fast you could pull a system down even doing a triple evac could be faster than the way I have been doing with just removing cores and pulling through my manifold and 1/4 inch hoses. I just picked up a new yj superevac pump from johnstone today and ordered 2 appion basic flow kits. they couldn't find a bluvac micron gauge in the computer and the guy said hes heard of em but has never sold one so im going to call in the morning when the manager is in to find out if they have them and if not wheres a good place to order them from and about how do they run? my tax refund is running out! haha and like I said and you can read my profile im not a seasoned technician so any advice isn't going to hurt my feelings. Im not to proud to learn something new!

thanks for all the additional info guys. I had a discussion with my boss about how come hes never brought up the fact of a proper vacuum pull and the cost of the stuff im ordering is the exact reason, but I showed him some videos of how fast you could pull a system down even doing a triple evac could be faster than the way I have been doing with just removing cores and pulling through my manifold and 1/4 inch hoses. I just picked up a new yj superevac pump from johnstone today and ordered 2 appion basic flow kits. they couldn't find a bluvac micron gauge in the computer and the guy said hes heard of em but has never sold one so im going to call in the morning when the manager is in to find out if they have them and if not wheres a good place to order them from and about how do they run? my tax refund is running out! haha and like I said and you can read my profile im not a seasoned technician so any advice isn't going to hurt my feelings. Im not to proud to learn something new!
    You should look at trutechtools.com. They have kits made up with everything and I believe you can get a discount from being a pro member.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

somebody else puts their name on the bluvac. It's yellow, and j-mart sells them

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast