Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

JCI LSS and ST Rate

I interviewed for a LSS(another name for project manager to ME?) or the ST position, whats the hourly rate or salary for these positions? I have a lot of Industrial,commercial experience.

Anyone work for JCI in these positions?

Thanks
    Izzy

Its salary and depends on your market, but you'll get bent over daily,and you will be expected to do the same to custumers. this job couldnt pay enough.

I was with JCI for about 3 1/2 years (in Pennsylvania). I started out as an SAE (Systems Application Engineer), basically a field tech/programmer. That job was great. That job was eliminated with the imfamous restructure and I was "promoted" to the LSS position. I lasted about 1 1/2 years as an LSS.

The LSS position is salaried (no overtime) with an incentive package. My salary was about $57K plus the incentive which was a percentage of my salary (8% + or - 8%) based on the amount over or under budget I maintained my projects. My incentive for the full year as an LSS was about $4K of which Uncle Sam took about 1/2. The incentive is given in one check around Christmas. The LSS does not get a vehicle, you must drive your own vehicle and report your mileage to and from job sites for reimbursment at the current IRS rate (at last check around $.30/mile).

You will do all programming, billing, subcontracting, job site supervision, attend all job/project meetings, order all material, be fully financially responsible for all of your assigned projects, and engineering for your projects. You may do all of this, or less depending on the amount of admin/engineering support in your branch. I did all of those things with no admin help, but we did have a very good, very overworked engineer.

In short the LSS position blows. I did it for a 1 1/2 years working 60-70 hours a week with no overtime, and no thankyou. My only reward was constantly having corporate accountants up my butt for not having bills out on time, or being on budget.

The ST position at my branch pays around $17-20/hr with limited benefits and no Christmas bonus or incentive. You work for an LSS and focus mainly on checkout and lower level programming, unless otherwise directed. The ST gets a vehicle.

I left them, and got a job with a small invensys rep in Harrisburg making way more money with none of the BS. They pay me for the hours I work, they let me give the customer a quality product without whining about every dime, and they stay off my back as long as I do my job.

JCI System Tech's job

Is the system techs job a union position and what are they paying in Ohio/Michigan area?

Thanks
    Izzy

Lss

Thanks for the post SoCal, I can stick with my tools and make 30+/hr with out all the BS.

I know the training must be good with JCI but it doesnt makeup for the payrate and hours.

Izzy

It sucks , really. I was a commercial HVAC tech for about 10 years before I went to JCI. I wanted to learn the controls side, and they sent me to training. I absolutely loved my job when I was an SAE, but when they restructured they ruined everything and made a lot of people really angry.

I wouldn't trade my time there because I learned a lot, and I personally enjoy the controls side a little more, but I wouldn't recommend JCI for a seasoned mechanic. At least not the systems (install) side. The mechanics (Fitters) have a pretty good gig on the service side though. Union pay and bennies.

LSS = Leaving Sometime Soon

That's funny control geek, whats ST= Sh*t time

Socal Ive been seasoned,grilled ,fried ,baked and frozen, you name it.

I also enjoy controls but Ill do whatever pays the most and always try to learn something knew

Izzy

I Agree 100%

I agree 100% with SoCalHvac!!

I worked with JCI for years and then that day came. Everything changed and I left one year later because I wouldn't give me first born to the Big Blue.

good-luck

I guess its all a matter of perspective,, I've been a LSS since the redesign and I think it was the best thing JCI could have done at that time. I've seen the position get the best of people, but its usually due the fact they were unsuccessful at getting the job done right the first time, and constantly having to revisit old problems they thought were resolved. I guess what I'm saying is there are still some people on the inside(of JCI) that like there job and believe that this company has a bright future!

Thanks

"JCI Future"

~Controlfreak~, I take it you were not with JCI before the restructure. I was shocked as JCI told people to take less money and turn in their vehicle. Can you imagine being asked to take less money and no overtime after 5 to 10 years with a company. It wasn't about people not getting the job done. Some of these Techs knew more than the vaunted "Tech Support". Every person I knew that left Johnson was hired by other companies just about the same day. Seimens, Honeywell, and other companies made out like bandits. Please explain to me how the future can look so bright? Doesn't history always repeat itself!!!! Are you willing to take the next pay cut for Big Blue?
    Law Of The Thermostat: He who has the thermostat wins!!!!!

simux- Its going on 15 years with JCI now. So to answer your question, yes I was there long before the re-design. In my opinion the company did what it needed to do to stay competative in the market place. Obiviously I cant speak to everyones case, but for myself the re-design was not a bad thing. In my opinion, the company takes care of there employees that excell at there jobs. Thats just my opinion, obviously you can have yours.

Excelling at your job has nothing to do with it. It has to do with a financial model. If Milwaukee had cared about whether or not you excelled at your job they would have asked the respective branchs before telling them who would be laid off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast