+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seeking Info on York YMC Centrifugal Magnetic Drive Chillers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Confused Seeking Info on York YMC Centrifugal Magnetic Drive Chillers

Greetings all!
    I'm looking for some detailed information regarding these systems. I am curious about the cost versus conventional systems, are there any capacity restrictions, any service problems etc?

I have been hounded by the local sales engineer and need to get the forum heartbeat on this technology.

Post Likes
    I'm not sure there are many here who have had first hand experience with the YMC. I do know they are expensive when compared to regular centrifugal chillers (like the YK, for instance). The compressor is not geared and relies on running the motor at frequencies on the magnitude of 240 Hz, if my memory serves me.

The chiller is presently offered in capacities from 215 to 380 T. Initially these chillers had quite a few problems. I'm not sure how many are installed and running trouble free. I do know there was a lot of hype and misinformation surrounding the YMC when it was first promoted by JCI. (Like saying they had over ten years of experience with magnetic bearings aboard U.S. Navy ships. From all my sources that claim was categorically untrue.

Post Likes

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    I'm not sure there are many here who have had first hand experience with the YMC. I do know they are expensive when compared to regular centrifugal chillers (like the YK, for instance). The compressor is not geared and relies on running the motor at frequencies on the magnitude of 240 Hz, if my memory serves me.

The chiller is presently offered in capacities from 215 to 380 T. Initially these chillers had quite a few problems. I'm not sure how many are installed and running trouble free. I do know there was a lot of hype and misinformation surrounding the YMC when it was first promoted by JCI. (Like saying they had over ten years of experience with magnetic bearings aboard U.S. Navy ships. From all my sources that claim was categorically untrue.
    You know that doesn't surprise me one bit. I have worked for the York Factory and for JCI and they constantly released new technologies that has issues and let the field correct the deficiencies. We would call the factory and tell them, hey we are having a problem with this and that and their response was OK, when you figure it out let us know and we will crate a green sheet for that.

Thanks for letting me know, not much has changed.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in