Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hvac licensing

Hvac licensing

Hi, I am looking for some reliable info regarding the new hvac licensing law in New Jersey. I have gone to technical school to be trained as an hvac tech and I am EPA certified amongst other certifications. I have about 1 year total trade experiance and I wanted to start my own business, but I thought since there were no real regulations in nj at the time to start an hvac business that I would take the time to go through an electrical apprenticeship to have my license in that to since I thought it would be helpful. Now I am at a point where I am just about done my electrical apprenticeship and wanting to get my hvac license as well but I read the new law and it said in order to be grandfatherd in you have to be in business for at least two years before the law goes into effect. So my question is number one does anyone know if I am correct about that requirement, and if anyone knows when this law is supposed to go into effect and basically any other helpful information because I would really hate to go into business for six months and have this law go into effect and be told that I have to close up shop and go through another apprenticeship to be eligable.

Steve

I am a licensed electrical contractor for aout 25 yers and doing HVACR for about 5 years, what i understand as of today 3-1-13 the law is signed but no board members have been appointed yet, after the board members have ben appointed what i understand is if you have been in business or two years or a plumber you are grandfathered in, i still am trying to find out id this fact if you are interested in talking email me

I havent heard of this hum... I am also looking to start a business in NJ with in the next month or so.

Do they even have a test setup for a business license yet? Especailly for those people in bussiness for less then 2 years

hi guys. any new info on this? they are going to be covering this at the ACCA meeting on the 20th, but its like an hour or so away from me and $60 to sign up for the class. its hard to find info online. ( i am a tech since 1992 , but this whole new law thing has me interested because im not a union guy, and only really unions had the ;state approved apprenticeships and journeyman designation )

actually, just went to the ACCA page to see more about the event, and its now ' sold out ' -

looks like the information will still stay a secret, i doubt that any news papers are covering this small hvac licensing issue.

thank you new jersey, you are awesome as always

cool stuff, the senator has said that everything will be online and available within the next two weeks.

i don't really dig not knowing the answers now, but at least we will all know soon.

Any update on this? I have a potential job in Woodstown NJ so I need to see if I can get all my ducks in a row so to speak.
    -=David=-

Not law yet, Steve is correct about board members.
    I have the law somewhere.
    by memory
    Bonding required, 2 photo id's, ALL paperwork/invoices etc. must have license # on it with owners name. Trucks must have license # and owners name on 3 sides. if you have been paying your men cash no grandfathering for them. must prove 5? years full time tax and Insurances paid. Just like the unions 5 years?

I understand the need for some regulation but that seems a bit over the top. I would expect nothing less from NJ.

Good to know it's hopelessly stalled... How much did all that cost the taxpayers so far?
    -=David=-

so looks like january starts the grandfathering. i guess i better start trying to dig out W-2s going back to 1992 when i started. Kind of sucks, i just recently through out box after box of old time cards and pay stubs from the last decade because it was taking up so much space and seemed pack rattyy.

here is a nice summary on the law http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions...njac13_32A.pdf

some of this stuff seems a bit over the top. a co-worker at my day gig is going for his electricians license and it doesnt involve as much of a jingle jangle of redtape as our HVAC one seems to. good luck to everyone that goes for one. I wish news would stay more readily available and up to date

The way this is all working out is that the grandfathering is scheduled to start 1/1/14. It looks like there will be two parts to the application. The first is a name, rank and serial # online part.

The second part -a document submission I speculate-is the part that demonstrates that you have been "engaged in the practice of HVACR" for at least two years. W-2's by themselves won't be enough. The State Board specifically does not want people who work for HVACR companies -secretaries, bookkeepers, drivers, warehouse workers, etc but are not engaged in the practice of HVACR-to get a license.

"Engaged in the Practice of HVACR" is defined as maintaining, servicing or installing HVACR systems. Supervising the installation or service of HVACR systems. Planning the installation of HVACR systems. Laying out the installation of HVACR Systems.

Forms of Proof the board has listed are:

-Letters from a Master HVACR Contractor(this is how the law refers to a license holder)
    -W-2 s
    -Certificates from technical training (NATE, refrigeration license, Manufacturer's technical training,etc)
    -Work papers that demonstrate you have been engaged in the practice. Service tickets, Blueprints,inspection reports,etc
    -Educational certificates-Tech school, Engineering school.
    -Permits if you are a sole proprietor.

Anything that will show the board that you have been engaged in the Practice of HVACR for two or more years. The more obvious you make it for the board the better it will go.

The Board expects 8,000 applicants. To review 8,000 applications in 6 months-1,333 applications per month- for people who already have full time jobs is going to be a challenge. You will want to make it easy for them to go through your application and approve it.

Anyone who thinks they might want a license should get it now. If you don't there are three ways to be eligible to take the exam.

1-Get a BS in HVACR and have one years experience
    or
    2-Get a BS in Mechanical Engineering or a related field and have three years experience
    or
    3- Attend 4 years of a department of labor approved apprenticeship program and have one additional year of experience(trade school will count for two of the four years)

Meeting these requirements only make you eligible to take the exam.

Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast