+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Monopolies on name Brands

Post Likes

Monopolies on name Brands

We have a local Service Company/Dealer. They sell & install Trane units. Of course they service all brands since they are a "Service Company". They do not sell to anyone but their customers/clients. Seems unfair that I cannot buy Trane units in my area. They have the monopoly. Another Local Service Company deals in American Standard Units - same thing. Is there a way around this?
    td55

Post Likes
    look for ducane or lennex

Post Likes
    Did you try lowes in missouri where im at they offer trane but not sure if they would sell you a unit without you paying for installation

Post Likes
    How big of an area? In our large metro, there are plenty of dealers of every brand. In a small town I could see them limiting it to 1 dealer. I guess just depends upon the supplier. May just have to pick someone else.

Post Likes
    I think Trane is pretty loyal to their dealers for the most part and doesn't want just anyone selling it... and end up a lower tier brand. How could they overcharge you then for their equipment.

You might need to get ahold of a regional sales rep and see if htere are any options. But I suspect they don't want anyone undercutting their existing dealers. I'm sure those dealers sure as he** don't want someone else being able to sell that equipment.

Then again, Carrier has managed to remain a premium brand and in my area at least, there are 4 Carrier/Bryant dealers. While Trane only has 1, and they are terrible. I can't beleive Trane still lets them sell units. Actually they might have pulled their sales agreement. I think the local rep mentioned they were on a "do not sell hold" some times last year for unpaid invoices. Then again... so were we for a while But we have SAP and plenty of middle management... enough said.

Post Likes
    Lowes doesn't sell without install. Population about 50K +. I'm researching this. Never heard of ducane or lennex. I will check it out. That's Lennex, not Lennox?
    td55

Post Likes
    That is Lennox, as in Dave!

Post Likes
    no I'm sure he meant Lennox.
    Ducane is a low end sub product of Lennox along with Aire-Flo

Post Likes
    We were looking to make a switch from being a Carrier to a Trane dealer last year. Had several meetings with the local area rep, received pricing from him that was unbelievably expensive and it was getting no where. We ended up flat out telling him that we purchased X amount of dollars from Carrier last year (1-2 million range) and Trane had an opportunity to take over that market share with us. His boss ended up coming down with him and basically told us that Trane was satisfied with their market share in our area. I believe there are 4, low volume Trane dealers in this area. Staying faithful to the little guys maybe....? Not sure, disappointing for them and us.

Post Likes
    I find it amusing that Trane holds itself in such high esteem but turns around and pimps AmeriStar and then it's still overpriced.
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Post Likes
    just become friends with the trane sales rep
    and he may be able to slid ya some units if you have a customer that is interested if not then sell them your main line.

I only have one negative thing to say about trane other than price. Sometimes getting warranty parts can be a SOB. Unlike some other equipment we sell and sell lots of it they do whatever they can to take care of us. Trane may do the same thing but we dont sell to much trane. we used to sell tons of American standard before i came to the company but on two occasions the units had labor warranty but it would take 2 weeks to get a compressor needless to say they dont have american standard anymore

Go ask your trane dealer if they sell amerstar. it is supposedly a unit that trane has their hands in but is made in Chine( not for me) but if a customer wants something with trane you maybe able to sell that to them. Good luck

and that is my

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in