+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TXV all the time?

Post Likes

TXV all the time?

Whenever I put in a 410-a system, I use a TXV. I use 14 seer Goodman equipment as my standard. Every once and a while people ask to shave a couple bucks so I tell them I can drop it to 13 seer. My rep says I can just use the piston, but prefer the TXV for the ease of knowing to do the superheat and sub cooling to what it is. My question is, is this ok and is there any positive/negative to this practice. Any input would be nice, thanks.

Post Likes

TXV all the time?

You can use a fixed orfice (piston) on R410A systems. Perfectly fine. Just make sure to use the correct size.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    You can use a fixed orfice (piston) on R410A systems. Perfectly fine. Just make sure to use the correct size.
    But why would you want to? IMO, a TXV is preferable 100% of the time.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Get on the goodman website, look up the outdoor unit you are offering, click on the specifications which will bring up the PDF and scroll down to the ahri ratings portion.

You'll see many 14 SEER matches that use either txv or piston. It's important that your match is the SEER rating you are offering. There will be a different ahri number for similar equipment with differing metering devices.

I myself prefer a txv, and some utility companies offering rebate $ may require a txv to qualify for their incentive even if the SEER rating is the same with a fixed restrictor.

Post Likes

TXV all the time?

Some people are not fans of TXV's. A expansion valve can mechanically fail.

An orfice can't mechanically fail.
    but it can clog.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    X2 i did it for several systems because of parker txv issues.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I also prefer a TXV, but the piston is ok too. With the piston the correct charge becomes critical.

Post Likes
    Less things to go wrong with fixed, but as stated above is more charge critical

Post Likes
    I prefer TXVs, very strongly, I just wish they would go back to making them like they did 10 years ago...

Post Likes
    I prefer txvs as well... The adjustable kind. The Sporlan kind.

How many adjustable Sporlans do you see as OEM on resi equipment these days?

I'm thinking long and hard here on that one.

Post Likes
    I don't think there is any one simple answer to the OP's question. The TXV usually makes a more efficient system but it also has a higher failure rate than a piston. On some Goodman 15 SEER systems the rating is the same with or without a TXV. As for their 13 SEER's, a TXV in place of a piston doesn't seem to change the ratings either. Most Goodman TXV's are adjustable so there is no guarantee the SH is going to be right unless it is tested & fine tuned anyways. I do just the opposite & use a piston instead of a TXV wherever possible on their 15 SEER systems but it really comes down to preference.
    My guess would be that any Goodman factory tech would say that you could always put a TXV on any of their 410A systems.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    I use a txv when I can also. It is the superior metering device. Not only by controlling constant superheat but providing faster "warmup " time by non bleed txvs.

Yes they have problems from time to time but I feel like the majority are from external sources
    overheating during brazing
    liquid restriction.

Post Likes
    I've said this before but to reiterate the rhyme:
    "For a more reliable system use a piston, for more efficiency use a TXV"
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    The reason they show the same efficiency with or without txv is they only run test at 1 set of conditions.

And my txv systems have been reliable. They can extend compressor life too. Unless its a recip w/o start kit.

Post Likes
    Its amazing how different things are in other parts of the country. I haven't installed anything with a fixed orifice in nearly 7 years. Our regulations are quite stringent around here where 15 seer is now considered standard efficiency and no bleed txvs are mandatory on anything new. Also i must be lucky because i have not had a failed txv in any of the 200 plus systems i have installed but i know its probably coming one day. All txv failures i have seen are installer caused mainly by bad pump down and purging techniques.

Post Likes
    Not wet ragging a TXV when you braze the lines will kill one pretty quick.

Post Likes
    ALWAYS use a TXV... one of my minimum requirements... Like ALL coils get a float safety switch... no exceptions.

The only TXV issues I had were the Rheem/Ruud coils in 2010... only had 2 bad ones... both of them replaced under warranty and I got labor to change them.

TXV's, like anything else, have specific details which must be followed for them to work properly and last a long time. I prefer to REMOVE the bulb when brazing... then replace it a half hour later when the suction line is cool. On Rheem coils the bulb is loose from the factory... so it will be mounted after brazing. The TXV issues I have repaired were mainly due to improperly mounted bulbs.

I do not mean this to be rude... however I really cannot understand why it is sooo hard to understand how to mount a tXV bulb... The ides is for the liquid refrigerant to STAY in the bulb... so mount it so the line is UP... how hard is that?

TXV's are a great thing... methinks the only reason they are not universal on residential AC is cost.

BTW: How many pistons do you see in refrigeration... <grin>
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I use pistons and txvs depending on what seer/eer I'm trying to get with a given match. Most of the York's we install will get 15 seer with a piston and that's all we need for the utility rebate around here and it saves $X for the customer. Of course I give them their options and inform and the customer chooses lots of times the cheaper option.

Post Likes
    We use some piston systems its one less thing to go wrong.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    I don't think there is any one simple answer to the OP's question. The TXV usually makes a more efficient system but it also has a higher failure rate than a piston. On some Goodman 15 SEER systems the rating is the same with or without a TXV. As for their 13 SEER's, a TXV in place of a piston doesn't seem to change the ratings either. Most Goodman TXV's are adjustable so there is no guarantee the SH is going to be right unless it is tested & fine tuned anyways. I do just the opposite & use a piston instead of a TXV wherever possible on their 15 SEER systems but it really comes down to preference.
    My guess would be that any Goodman factory tech would say that you could always put a TXV on any of their 410A systems.
    Agree with you on this one.

We also had a few ruuds where the txv messed up but it could have been our install crew not gonna lie.
    sometimes it takes a few kick in the a** and some in a even more tender area to figure out what is going on.
    But as of right now piston if we can but we basically sell the lower seer units because units might last 8-10yrs when they are less than 50 yds from the end of the dunes. Saw one yesterday you can not service the unit on high tide because you would be standing in the ocean. And with the crazy floods or big waves it probably splashes the unit.
    2009 coil will be gone in another year.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in