+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Boiler Question

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rich pickering View Post
    Up here in my part of the great white north, there is no such thing as strip heat in commercial.
    Even, in new buildings??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MHall View Post
    Interesting information. Would co-generation, require a boiler? Based on what others have said I always thought that emissions would be a great part of why new buildings don't want a boiler on the property. Isn't live steam dangerous as well?? I find it hard to believe that a new LEED hospital will use steam for space heating. Wouldn't that require a boiler operator on site 24/7??
    Why would you find it hard to believe?, this is the only thing that makes perfect sense? Hospitals have people there 24/7 365 already....

Even, in new buildings??
    Especially in new buildings... I'm starting to think your a little thick.

Strip heat IS the old way.....

Your killing me.
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus-Herb94 View Post
    You have said this a couple times but you can't be more specific as to WHERE your referring to? Is this a blanket statement for the whole country or are you referring to your city Dallas? and have you actually seen these electric heat strips your talking about or are you taking somebodies word for it?

I can think of at least one building built before 1981 that does not have a "full central plant" and that would be the Sears tower (Or Willis tower as you probably only know it as at this point). It has water source heat pumps (I haven't seen this for myself, but have heard this from quite a few techs around this area). That was completed in 1973.
    I thought the sears tower had electric boilers for hot water heat?? This is another example of an older building which utilizes hydronic heat. If it had been built in 1993 rather than 1973, it would have electric heat strips. No hydronics.

They might also have heat recovery chillers. I read the specifications sometime ago, and don't remember for sure

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    Why would you find it hard to believe?, this is the only thing that makes perfect sense? Hospitals have people there 24/7 365 already....

What exactly do you mean by that??

Post Likes
    Interesting information. Would co-generation, require a boiler? Based on what others have said I always thought that emissions would be a great part of why new buildings don't want a boiler on the property. Isn't live steam dangerous as well?? I find it hard to believe that a new LEED hospital will use steam for space heating. Wouldn't that require a boiler operator on site 24/7??
    I thought the sears tower had electric boilers for hot water heat?? This is another example of an older building which utilizes hydronic heat. If it had been built in 1993 rather than 1973, it would have electric heat strips. No hydronics.

They might also have heat recovery chillers. I read the specifications sometime ago, and don't remember for sure

Sears Tower (now Willis Tower) uses Co Gen for heat because of energy consumption concerns...... The generation of electricity heats the building.

Post Likes
    What exactly do you mean by that??
    You need to tour a hospital...

Hospitals operate 24 hours a day... There has to be an engineer on site when it is open for business, which is, 24 hours a day.

Steam is the obvious choice because they have to heat their domestic water supply to over 140*F to kill off any potential bacteria and whatnot then temper it down to useable temperatures. Hospitals also do a lot of laundry and the use of autoclaves use a lot of steam.

It make perfect sense....

What do you mean by "exactly"?

Post Likes
    You need to tour a hospital...

Hospitals operate 24 hours a day... There has to be an engineer on site when it is open for business, which is, 24 hours a day.

Steam is the obvious choice because they have to heat their domestic water supply to over 140*F to kill off any potential bacteria and whatnot then temper it down to useable temperatures. Hospitals also do a lot of laundry and the use of autoclaves use a lot of steam.

It make perfect sense....

What do you mean by "exactly"?
    You would not see a new hospital heated by steam. Think of the lawsuit of a patient burned themselves on a radiator/unit ventilator .Plenty of older hospitals using it though.
    And by older, I mean pre 1982.

Post Likes
    http://www.broaddusassociates.com/in...nter&Itemid=51

There's a nice new fairly new hospital built in your neck of the woods. Maybe you should call up the architects and engineers and tell them they made a mistake. They installed (3) 400 HP Boilers.
    Last edited by timmy2734; 02-27-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy2734 View Post
    http://www.broaddusassociates.com/in...nter&Itemid=51

There's a nice new fairly new hospital built in your neck of the woods. Maybe you should call up the architects and engineers and tell them they made a mistake. They installed (3) 400 HP Boilers.
    Interesting. When I stated that; "no new buildings use boilers", I was refering to space heating. Perhaps, they are doing that here?? More than likely its for laundry, sterlization, or domestic water.

Post Likes
    So you're an engineer designing a building....you have an abundance of steam in your hand...but you'll install electric strip heating ?

Post Likes
    You would not see a new hospital heated by steam. Think of the lawsuit of a patient burned themselves on a radiator/unit ventilator .Plenty of older hospitals using it though.
    And by older, I mean pre 1982.
    There are quite literally dozens of ways to heat with steam. Only one of which are radiators.

More homework.......

You can use heat exchangers to heat water, turn turbines and heat with the condensate, heat water with flue scavengers.

All of these practices are used TODAY

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Post Likes
    Even, in new buildings??
    Our design temp is -23f. We see -40f. That's actual temperature, not windchill. Natural gas is 60-70% cheaper than electricity.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rich pickering View Post
    Our design temp is -23f. We see -40f. That's actual temperature, not windchill. Natural gas is 60-70% cheaper than electricity.
    You my friend need to friggen move... At what temperature does Vodka freeze?... Holy crap.

All of your tee shirts must have nipple holes torn into them.

Post Likes
    You my friend need to friggen move... At what temperature does Vodka freeze?... Holy crap.

All of your tee shirts must have nipple holes torn into them.
    OK, just looked it up....100 proof Vodka freezes at -40*F...

Post Likes
    My previous question has not been answered.

Are heat recovery chillers ever installed in newly constructed buildings?? As I stated before they seem pretty rare in general.

Post Likes
    My previous question has not been answered.

Are heat recovery chillers ever installed in newly constructed buildings?? As I stated before they seem pretty rare in general.

Not that it matters much, you don't seem to listen to the answers anyway....

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...4R58GZg0FEWMaw

They will eventually gain popularity as systems get more elaborate.

Post Likes
    Thank you for taking the time to offer an explanation. As I said earlier I am not trying to come across as disrespectful, I am just attempting to research my question thoroughly before jumping to an agreement with what one or two people say.

Those I’ve spoken to personally give the impression that boilers and hot water/steam heat are old technology installed in only older buildings. Those here, argue otherwise. I am just trying to look at both sides and discuss this intelligently.

Still, I find it very hard to believe that a brand new hospital would use live steam for heat. That would mean an operator has to be present 24/7. Are you sure this isn’t a renovation of a much older building??I thought the goal in today’s economy was to avoid a large onsite staff?

And with LEED certified buildings dominating new construction, steam seems the least likely choice for something new and efficient.

Again, I’m not trying to argue. It just seems I’ve now been told two things……..
    You sure must really trust the people that have convinced you that hydronic heating is of the past! They probably were messing with you, or high. Or both.

If you had actually done some research on your own I think by now you'd stop insisting that electric strip heat is the way of the future!

Oh and BTW, steam heat is a very efficient form of heat (when tuned properly). It can run circles around forced air (referring to gas furnaces there, not to be confused with hydro air), less then stellar hot water systems and for surely electric strip heat

There is absolutely no possible way in a million years that strip heat would have been used. Not in 1973, not in 1993, and NOT NOW.

Sears Tower (now Willis Tower) uses Co Gen for heat because of energy consumption concerns...... The generation of electricity heats the building.
    Don't they use WSHP's for cooling? and I guess the Co Gen is keeping the loop temp up for the WSHP's. Or maybe it's all different then I've heard?

Post Likes
    Here's the hospital I just did csd1Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362053529.669504.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  54.5 KB

Behind the two steam boilers are 3 massive water boilers, not sure on btu but they each have 2 2" relief valves. This was built in 98. No idiot would use electric around here.

Post Likes
    Even, in new buildings??
    Is this guy for real? This has to be someone messing with us!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    MHall, it's about time everyone gives up on giving you facts and you ignoring them. You are worse than some of the hard headed individuals in the ARP section. Why don't you do us all a favor and subscribe to some of the trade magazines and start reading them from cover to cover. Once you have an understanding of the TRUE systems being installed in the large variety of buildings out there, perhaps we can have a logical discussion. Your lack of understanding of steam and your belief of electric strip heaters truely shows you have no experience in the industry. If you are going strictly off what "you have personally" been told, do yourself a favor and find a new group of friends to hang out with and ask questions of. Time and time again you have been given examples of hydronic heating in new buildings, steam being used, and NOBODY in their right mind using electric strip heaters as the primary heat source, yet you refuse to accept the truth. Please do us all a favor and yourself and read up on the subject.

Sorry for the rant, I am trying to be polite. Your constant disregard of reality from people that are actually in the trade is starting to wear on people's patience.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in