Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Boiler Question

Quote Originally Posted by MHall View Post

You may debate this, but from what I can see district steam is used only in older buildings. I'm sure that is the case with the steam line in Toronto as well. A new building being built seems to use electric heat, because of the fact that it does not require; supply/return piping, pumps,etc.

Earlier in the thread I asked about buildings that have boiler operators. Here is a picture of the boiler room at my old elementary school built in 1954: .[ATTACH=CONFIG]361881[/ATTACH
    The school has no boiler operator, and staff is NOT present 24/7. I thought a building with a boiler had to have an operator 24/7???
    You don't need a boiler operator 24/7. The maintenance staff at the building you posted may(should) have somebody who is competent in its operation. I'm going to guess that that boiler is fully automatic. There's no need for an operator sitting there all day. Also, I'm going to assume that that building is not open around the clock. Do they shut down at the end of everyday? or do they continue heating with an empty building?

It's very common for new buildings to use RTU's. Your old school probably didn't do it for a few reasons. The old plant may not have enough capacity and to me the most obvious, would be that the work involved was probably not worth it to connect the 2 buildings. If you go back and re-read the thread, I've posted numerous links of new construction that show your theory is %100 wrong. Why you choose to continually ignore everything that everybody in here is telling you... I have no idea.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    In most cases someone has to log temps and pressures everyday, they don't have to have someone watching it 24/7 it's not a serial killer lol
    But having a valve before the pressure relief valve isn't exactly the smartest idea.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

[QUOTE=timmy2734;15325661]
    It's very common for new buildings to use RTU's. QUOTE]

You just stated exactly was I have been trying to emphasize. New buildings utilize RTUs rather than boilers/chillers. Why they do this, is what I don’t know. Perhaps the initial cost of the central plant?

No that's not really what you were emphasizing at all. You were preaching electric heat strips....

And to make blanket statements like buildings do only this or that is wrong. It completely depends on the application. There is no single answer.

MHall

This is getting stupid.

I am going to use one sentence to try and explain where your boo boo is.

You keep stating that "heat strips" are the primary source of heat in new buildings, you then say that when they have strip heat it is on a heat pump....

Heat pumps are the main source of heat.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    MHall

This is getting stupid.

I am going to use one sentence to try and explain where your boo boo is.

You keep stating that "heat strips" are the primary source of heat in new buildings, you then say that when they have strip heat it is on a heat pump....

Heat pumps are the main source of heat.

GT
    I was refering to the backup heat. Sorry for the confusion. I still can't understand why the boiler in my picture does not have an operator. The staff member I spoke to, stated, he knew nothing about the boiler other than turning it on and off. They certainly do not have a boiler operator on site, even during operation on school days.

Because there's really no need to have an operator....that's not exactly a big plant lol.

Around here, with small low pressure, you're not going to have an operator sitting there all day. They'll usually be part of the maintenance crew doing other things. They'll start up/shut down and do routine maintenance. If it's a larger plant with low pressure steam, you may have an actual crew of guys.

High pressure is a whole different deal.

Again, it's building/plant specific.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy2734 View Post
    Because there's really no need to have an operator....that's not exactly a big plant lol.

Around here, with small low pressure, you're not going to have an operator sitting there all day. They'll usually be part of the maintenance crew doing other things. They'll start up/shut down and do routine maintenance. If it's a larger plant with low pressure steam, you may have an actual crew of guys.

High pressure is a whole different deal.

Again, it's building/plant specific.
    Thanks so much for the info. So, the boiler pictured, would not need an operator on a daily bases?

apparently it doesn't.

Different cities have there own laws for licensing and operation.

Thanks so much for the info. So, the boiler pictured, would not need an operator on a daily bases?

That is not a boiler, that is a big water heater....

Quote Originally Posted by timmy2734 View Post
    apparently it doesn't.

Different cities have there own laws for licensing and operation.
    Thanks again. I was asking more specifically, if that type of boiler pictured would normally require an operator, perhaps in your area? Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks again. I was asking more specifically, if that type of boiler pictured would normally require an operator, perhaps in your area? Thanks for the clarification.

More than likely not at all..... That is one seriously small piece of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    That is not a boiler, that is a big water heater....
    Why do you say that?Please be specific. Having been in this boiler room personally, I can tell you that the water heater is located on the other side of the room. This boiler is connected to a pump which sends heating hot water to radiators throughout the school for space heating.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast