Quote Originally Posted by MHall View Post

You may debate this, but from what I can see district steam is used only in older buildings. I'm sure that is the case with the steam line in Toronto as well. A new building being built seems to use electric heat, because of the fact that it does not require; supply/return piping, pumps,etc.

Earlier in the thread I asked about buildings that have boiler operators. Here is a picture of the boiler room at my old elementary school built in 1954: .[ATTACH=CONFIG]361881[/ATTACH
The school has no boiler operator, and staff is NOT present 24/7. I thought a building with a boiler had to have an operator 24/7???
You don't need a boiler operator 24/7. The maintenance staff at the building you posted may(should) have somebody who is competent in its operation. I'm going to guess that that boiler is fully automatic. There's no need for an operator sitting there all day. Also, I'm going to assume that that building is not open around the clock. Do they shut down at the end of everyday? or do they continue heating with an empty building?

It's very common for new buildings to use RTU's. Your old school probably didn't do it for a few reasons. The old plant may not have enough capacity and to me the most obvious, would be that the work involved was probably not worth it to connect the 2 buildings. If you go back and re-read the thread, I've posted numerous links of new construction that show your theory is %100 wrong. Why you choose to continually ignore everything that everybody in here is telling you... I have no idea.