Quote Originally Posted by Gus-Herb94 View Post
You know, I don't think it's been mentioned plain and clear but did you ever think that the reason they use electric strip heat in these buildings is because your in a warm climate where heating in high rises is barely needed? These places practically heat themselves to about 50-40 degrees. In Dallas that's about the average winter high.

I could EASILY see the engineers that put these systems together saying that very same thing, and just throwing strip heating in because it's cheapest and will hardly be used anyway.

Up north hydronics and steam is definitely predominant and looks to stay that way for some time.

Nothing is the way it seems. Things do go in and out of fashion. Right now I'd say hydronics and chilled water etc have made a bit of a comeback.

And don't forget alot of decisions are made based strictly on money, cost effectiveness etc. There really is no set date for when anything went in/out of fashion lost/gained popularity etc. Everything is different city to city, building by building.

You seem like you could use some more hands on experience, outside of your home evironment. Things really are a bit different then how your original statements make it sound.

Very eloquent.

Your are correct, however....

He uses the terms "all newer building have strip heat", this is bunk....

He uses the terms "boilers are being phased out due to install costs" again, bunk.

And I totally agree with you, he needs to tour about a half a dozen LEED platinum buildings and get a feel for the direction that the building industry is heading.

That is my argument in it's entirety. BTW, did you see the electrical statistics on the Dallas bank building? Holy crap Batman! In California you could run three city blocks off that badboy...

GT