Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? for landlords

? for landlords

I have a young couple who have rented a house from me for just under 2 years but gave 30 day notice when thy paid last months rent. for the most part they have been good aside from a couple minor issues like shoveling and garbage in the garage, it isn't included but I allow them to use it. they called with some electrical issues a couple weeks ago so I have been in and out working there with their permission each and every time. they told my wife it was messy because they are moving but when I walked in I was down right disgusted and furious. I found kitty litter and scooper on the floor, this wouldn't be a big deal but they got the kittens a couple weeks after they moved in and only kept them about 2 months. my math tells me the litter has been there for 1.5 years, minimum. also I don't think it has been vacuumed since they moved in because of trash and wrappers all over. the place is anyway I took pics to show my wife. I am concerned because they are just now packing and are acting like it can be clean in 2 days. I don't think it will be as clean as it was when the moved in and now they are complaining about mice. I am wondering if I can use these pics WHEN I take them to court?

Court? A around here you will not stand a chance. If they are paid up and gave notice. The courts will just suggest you use their dosit to cover the cleaning. Also they might be able to come after you for taking pictures with put their expressed written consent

Of course document everything, before and after. But be very careful with holding/not returning their deposit. Laws are very clear what you have to do, to legally deny them their deposit, and the penalties are stiff (to you) for not complying.
    Hopefully you have pictures from before they moved in. If they caused the mice infestation, I would let them know you expect them to pay for the remediation. But always check with a lawyer first, especially if it is going to get expensive.
    Some tenants know all the laws(tricks). Be glad they move out when they say, and hopefully you'll be able to legally keep their deposit. Then do your landlord thing (clean, paint etc) and get back to making some rent money

Also be careful what u say to their new landlord. If they call for a refrence. I have seen the landlord say the truth about na tenant to only be in court and treated like a second hand trash bag

There is mice because they got rid of the cats... Unless its extreme, i doubt the courts will do anything, that's what the last month's rent should be for if it's extreme, and cleaning need's to be done. Anything over a year, and a cleaning, painting is probably in order, esp if they smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Of course document everything, before and after. But be very careful with holding/not returning their deposit. Laws are very clear what you have to do, to legally deny them their deposit, and the penalties are stiff (to you) for not complying.
    Hopefully you have pictures from before they moved in. If they caused the mice infestation, I would let them know you expect them to pay for the remediation. But always check with a lawyer first, especially if it is going to get expensive.
    Some tenants know all the laws(tricks). Be glad they move out when they say, and hopefully you'll be able to legally keep their deposit. Then do your landlord thing (clean, paint etc) and get back to making some rent money
    I always take before and after pics. I am convinced the mouse problem is because of the dog food, dirty dishes, food, drinks and just all around trash scattered through the house. it is so bad that when you drop something you can't find it! I dropped a new receptacle, plate and screwdriver the other day and have yet to see it. painting and normal prep I expect but the carpest are sooooo bad. I had to cut a hole in the drywall for new wires, it was small enough i put a 4x4 duel outlet in so not a big mess. i swept along the 6' wall and the junk wouldn't even fit on a paper plate. it was more their mess than my drywall crumbs. a smell came from that carpet like i have never dreamt!! i had to go outside. i already know they won't be getting their deposit but i want to use these pics as proof of slobbery. the lease states for it to be left in the same condition as wen they moved in, within reason. if they give me a hard time about the deposit my lawyer will take over, we've been down this road before. who knows, maybe they can get it done but truthfully i don't see it happening in time and they are aware they will be charged. they also put "sliding barrel" locks on the entrance doors. last week they locked themselves out and borrowed my key which is for a door they never use. this means they needed to kick the door in because the slide lock is drilled into the door casing. i looked the other day and it's split and they tried to tack it back in place. i am mostly concerned about the smell, who is going to rent it if it smells that bad? the deposit isn't going to come close to repairs buti honestly don't know how far i can go with it.

I don't know anything about rental houses, but if you have to tear out all of the carpet, consider putting in hardwood floors or some kind of cheap vinyl stuff that looks like hardwood floors. I would think that would be more rental-house friendly in the long run.

Either that, or just find the cheapest indoor carpet you can find and throw that in there, and just plan to redo it each time you get a new renter. If you happen to get a good renter that doesn't trash it some day, consider it a bonus.

Is it really worth getting all worked up about and paying for a lawyer and going through all of the time and hassle over a few hundred bucks that you might win?

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    I don't know anything about rental houses, but if you have to tear out all of the carpet, consider putting in hardwood floors or some kind of cheap vinyl stuff that looks like hardwood floors. I would think that would be more rental-house friendly in the long run.

Either that, or just find the cheapest indoor carpet you can find and throw that in there, and just plan to redo it each time you get a new renter. If you happen to get a good renter that doesn't trash it some day, consider it a bonus.

Is it really worth getting all worked up about and paying for a lawyer and going through all of the time and hassle over a few hundred bucks that you might win?
    All the landlords i deal with put in the cheap laminate floor for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post

we talked about replacing all the carpets with laminate wood but it is over a dirt crawl with no insulation anywhere. however i can dump some heat down there. that may be the best route because we can change pieces if needed rather than the entire floor and the tenant can lay space rugs or something if they want. honestly i didn't even realize i was worked up as much as i am, i feel like i was had. we thought they were good tenants. i is our own fault in a way, we haven't done an inspection in over a year, compared to the usual 2-3 we schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    we talked about replacing all the carpets with laminate wood but it is over a dirt crawl with no insulation anywhere. however i can dump some heat down there. that may be the best route because we can change pieces if needed rather than the entire floor and the tenant can lay space rugs or something if they want. honestly i didn't even realize i was worked up as much as i am, i feel like i was had. we thought they were good tenants. i is our own fault in a way, we haven't done an inspection in over a year, compared to the usual 2-3 we schedule.
    You usually inspect your tenants house every 2-3 weeks, did i read that rite?

Me and the wife have been in the rental property biz for about 30 years. We have seen just about every thing you can imagine. My advice to you is when they move out, estimate the damages and keep the deposit if needed, then just move on and fix the place up. You will tie your self up with lawyer fees court dates and so on if you try to recover any damage above the deposit. We just look at this as part of doing business. I do almost all the work on our properties myself including carpet, just go rent a carpet kicker and do the best you can.

Normal as I understand it.... Is quarterly inspections.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    You usually inspect your tenants house every 2-3 weeks, did i read that rite?
    i meant 2-3 times yearly, minimal. lol. sorry. this place is right next to my restaurant so we try to enforce cleanliness. i can't enforce being tidy and to be honest, i don't care. i do need to be sure there is no chance of rodent overrun and stuff like that. the lease makes them mow at least once per week or any time i mow the restaurant to keep it presentable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast