+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mini split and a heat pump.

Post Likes

Mini split and a heat pump.

Just a 26 seer Mr Slim unit we put in a garage. The infinity had to be setup on blocks. Supposed to bring grade up to the bottom of the concrete pad. Frozen ground, always fun to work with.
    No pics of the indoor units, forgot... Oops

Post Likes
    Looks nice.. What did you use for wire in your whip? I have gone to using 14-3 sjo cable on the mitsubishis. It is outdoor rated, stranded, and black. Saves time having to deal with the whips, looks a tad fancier and works excellent on the multi head units so you don't have to run 5 whips which are a pain to get into the knockouts..

Post Likes
    I just use 14 gauge stranded wire. Bought some spools of it. I like the idea of the sjo, I used that stuff to make my extension cords. I would still put it in a whip. Im not really worried about saving that much time, more about doing quality work.

Post Likes
    Look beautiful.

We have had problems with pump ups on those units though. The top of the pump up breaks because the legs don't equally distribute pressure.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Man....Carrier is still using a piston as the OD metering device, even on the Greenspeed?

Nice work BTW.

Post Likes
    That's not a greenspeed, just a 2 stage heat pump. Personally I am a fan of pistons. They don't go bad is one reason!!!!! Greenspeed has an electronic expansion valve.

From what I have heard it is kind a flop. Know several companies that have put them in and are having issues with them..

Post Likes
    Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

I saw the green on the label and you know...

O well.

Post Likes
    Pretty sure all the Infinity's have that label now.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    Man....Carrier is still using a piston as the OD metering device, even on the Greenspeed?

Nice work BTW.
    X2, Im not fond of the location either. I've never regularly installed Carrier but if I did, I would carry a bunch of tee's to pipe in before the piston or something so I could check subcooling.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ClimateCntlJohn View Post
    X2, Im not fond of the location either. I've never regularly installed Carrier but if I did, I would carry a bunch of tee's to pipe in before the piston or something so I could check subcooling.
    You have lost me? You can check subcooling on these units. I wish they would go back to pistons on the indoor coils. A lot less issues...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyed View Post
    You have lost me? You can check subcooling on these units. I wish they would go back to pistons on the indoor coils. A lot less issues...
    Sorry...let me clarify. I was X2'ing Brents comment about pistons on the outside, I do agree they have less problems than a TXV but I figured a 2 stage HP would utilize a TXV outside. And about the subcooling in HEAT MODE, because the gauge port on the LL is after the piston (low side), I was saying I'd personally add a port before the piston to get a true liquid pressure measurement right before the piston. Good lookin' installs in my book, I might add a sleeve through the wall for the line set though.

Post Likes
    Not sure why folks do not like TXV's... if it is because there were some bad ones.... well there were some bad blower wheels a few years ago also... should we go to using fans in furnaces?

TXV's work as well as they are installed... maybe that is the issue???

BTW: Ever see a piston on a refrigeration unit?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    True dat man. I say we start using hampster wheels, authentically spun by a hampster haha. A piston on a reefer unit is interesting, dont believe Ive seen that...pics?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ClimateCntlJohn View Post
    True dat man. I say we start using hampster wheels, authentically spun by a hampster haha. A piston on a reefer unit is interesting, dont believe Ive seen that...pics?
    Yeah... hampster wheels... might move lots of conditioned air... problem is the conditioning of the air as it passes through a hampster cage... whoops...

I was making a subtle yet sarcastic joke... I doubt folks will find a piston on refrigeration units... simply because TXV's are the way it is done. The point was to subtly poke folks to think in a bigger picture...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

TXV's work as well as they are installed... maybe that is the issue???

Yeah on a 40 year old ice milk cooler,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3hf5gLGhj0

They don't work that well though! Have converted a few to txv's. They are more of a fixed orifice than a piston.

Jimmyed, Nice looking install!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    Looks nice.. What did you use for wire in your whip? I have gone to using 14-3 sjo cable on the mitsubishis. It is outdoor rated, stranded, and black. Saves time having to deal with the whips, looks a tad fancier and works excellent on the multi head units so you don't have to run 5 whips which are a pain to get into the knockouts..
    When possible, try using THHN and combine them into one conduit, looks a lot cleaner.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

Yes, it's called a capillary tube and their all the rage now among OEMs of self contained equipment because they're dirt cheap.

I will admit I've never seen a fixed metering device on a split refrigeration system.

Post Likes
    we have about 25 greenspeeds installed with virtually no mechanical issues .....yet, lol,

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in