Week of Jun 2 to Jun 6...BUSY WEEK

Just a week of retros....few of the jobs peppered with service calls.

Old Lennox to a York DNZ on Monday
    BEFORE
    Name:  20140606_074510.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  58.2 KB
    AFTER
    Name:  20140606_100330.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  83.1 KB

Old Rheem to a Lennox/Allied on Tuesday

BEFORE
    Name:  20140603_074140.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  160.1 KB
    AFTER
    Name:  20140603_113327.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  121.3 KB

Condenser replacement on Wednesday (burn-out..old one sucked down and removed before I got there) 15 stories up...cooling for a penthouse suite game room.

BEFORE
    Name:  20140526_113729.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  124.4 KB

AFTER...installed dry R22 unit...only one left in town was a Guardian Brand/York
    Name:  20140527_111725.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  116.2 KB

Thursday - overhauled a old Snyder General to get it by for one more summer. New oil pump, valve plates, CCH, OPS, LLFD, Economizer controls, 8 leak repairs, two condenser fan motors, and main contactor with auxiliaries, blower/motor sheaves with some belts, 23 pounds of R22, and a partridge in a pear tree......LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLONG LONG DAY.
    Name:  20140530_093025.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  20140530_090159.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  46.3 KB

Friday....BAC Tower pump replacement and another 10 hours of service calls

Name:  20130513_165900.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  159.5 KBName:  20130521_123604.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  112.5 KB

Hi SLCTECH, On pic #4 can you explain whats going on with the condensate trap.

also, Pic #2 is that a prefabbed transition curb?

Thanks
    "Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.

Marie Curie

Good work brother... im in the same boat. Got a lot of quoted work to do. Im also trying to finish some of my maintenance to. And im on call until friday.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Are those stainless hoses?

Quote Originally Posted by RACMT View Post
    Hi SLCTECH, On pic #4 can you explain whats going on with the condensate trap.

What appears to be a vent is actually a clean out that is not capped, yet. I pull cap and will be able to push a brush down though the trap. If I was to be piping the outlet of the trap to a distant drain, I would install a vent aft of the trap.

also, Pic #2 is that a prefabbed transition curb?

Yes, KCC transition curb manufactured both the curbs for the York and Lennox I did last week. With fourteen other curbs either built or being built for some jobs coming down the tube. One of their two main manufacturing shops is about 15 minutes from my home, the other is in Louisville, Kentucky.

Thanks
    Pre-fab curbs are the only way to go. KCC are engineered with minimal static loss in mind. I think the DNZ York to the Lennox GCS20 is spec'd for .09"WC and the Rheem to Lennox KGA was engineered at a static drop of .13"WC.

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    Are those stainless hoses?

Yeah, most of my hoses are custom made....there is a thread about that somewhere.
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....ac-pump-set-up

I have since gotten rid of the Sherman manifold...just a leaking POS, and went back to a Y/J Titan 4 valve. Since I never use my manifolds for vacuuming, ended up plugging off the inlet of that port on the Titans. That DigiCool will never die...purchased in 2006.

Man you have been busy....looks like fun....lol. I was just wondering why do you not use your manifolds for vacuuming? Because of more potential leak points, or bad for the innards....? Just curious I have the Titan as well and think it works great for the vacuuming, honestly its the only way I have ever done the job.

Couldn't use a square unit to replace the Rheem? Like another Rheem? That avoids that crazy looking adapter even if it doesn't have a big static hit.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Couldn't use a square unit to replace the Rheem? Like another Rheem? That avoids that crazy looking adapter even if it doesn't have a big static hit.
    This is a business complex with approximately 80 RTU units....all the same. Owner loves Lennox and we have been retroing all the Rheems over the years as they formed HX cracks or drop out on cooling to Lennox units. We actually keep a tranny curb in the shop for this site. We are at the point with this site that if there is a no-cool call and it is something more than a capacitor or a thermostat, we are replacing the unit the next business day.
    Static drop is only about .1 or so, looks steep visually, but the SA is literally right above the original, and the RA is well designed with two very smooth tuning vanes built in the curb, KCC does so very good engineering on their Trannys. I am sure other curb companies are just as proficient, but with KCC in our back yard, it is who we have always used and enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by mpape View Post
    Man you have been busy....looks like fun....lol. I was just wondering why do you not use your manifolds for vacuuming? Because of more potential leak points, or bad for the innards....? Just curious I have the Titan as well and think it works great for the vacuuming, honestly its the only way I have ever done the job.
    Once you learn the technique of utilizing a vacuum pump, with valve removal tools, a pair of 3/8 to 1/2 hoses, and can cut your vac time to minutes, you will understand. The least amount of fittings and length of hoses, the faster, less leak prone, and accurate your vacuum job will be. No real right or wrong, just a different method, that's all. A lot of good vacuum set-ups and talk about vacuuming without gauges in the TOOL FORUM...do a quick search and you will find countless conversations on the subject.

Wish i had that mountain view, sure your used to that though.

Thanks. I do use two valve removal tools during the process as well as 3/8 and 1/2 hoses to my pump, the hoses on my mainifold..... but ill pick up some separate hoses and give it a try.