Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

brothers house is done

finally!! its a dual fuel system, 3 ton 16 seer 2 stage goodman heat pump, 2 stage 96% 70k btu variable speed furnace, goodman 5" media filter, Honeywell truzone 4 zone panel, Honeywell prestige IAQ thermostats, aprilair 600 humidifier and an aprilair 150 cfm erv.

they just finished and closed on the house last week so we don't have any power bills yet but im hoping for good results out of it. there are only 2 zones, upstairs and downstairs, but the 4 zone panel was the only one that would do 4 heat 2 cool. the humidifier duct will become the basement return when the wall is built. it heats very even and quietly with the house empty so it should be even better furnished. the discharge of the erv is piped out to blow on the heatpump, im hoping to recover some of the energy lost in the erv itself. last time I checked the erv was running at 73% efficient at 27* outside and 70* inside, that was producing 44* air on the heatpump.

unfortunately I didn't do the plumbing or the gas. the plumbing looks ok for what it is, I hate pex, and the gas line guys sure could use a level. im a union pipefitter so im about as big a critic as you can have, I will admit though, the guys who did the plumbing did a very good job.

ok so lets here it. and before anyone says anything about goodman, the warranty is great, parts are in town, and ive had zero problems with the many systems ive put in.

- - - Updated - - -

will a mod please do something about the HUGE pictures. thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images        

No trap on the evap condensate drain
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

Just my $0.02...

You may find that bypass is too short... I have found that 'mixing' the bypass into the return air... seems to 'temper' the bypass temperature... thus helping the system to not cycle when one zone is calling.

Otherwise... a clean and good looking install!

I like the big junction box and conduit to the low voltage panes above the humidifier on the return duct.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

I didn't put in a trap because the coil is on the positive side, just a place for a clog.

As far as the bypass goes the low stage of either the heat pump, furnace or ac operation will handle either zone by itself. the only time it sees high stage so far is when it recovers from setback, and that is usually both zones. im pretty sure I could've left it out all together but id rather do it now. I haven't seen it bypass yet. also the way I have the erv tied in it will be either cooler air in heating, or warmer air in cooling. the fan on the system runs all the time and so far it seems to be slightly pulling in outside air through the erv creating a positive pressure in the house and forcing air out the erv. this keeps the house ventilating at all times without effecting the temperature from return to supply in the off cycle. also, I did not tie the erv exhaust into the return, I have a dedicated exhaust in the mud room. the sole reason for this was a lack of space to get ducts to the return.

Quote Originally Posted by worm5932 View Post
    the discharge of the erv is piped out to blow on the heatpump, im hoping to recover some of the energy lost in the erv itself. last time I checked the erv was running at 73% efficient at 27* outside and 70* inside, that was producing 44* air on the heatpump.
    I saw the 6" PVC in the pictures and thought you might have done this, then went back and read your text and confirmed that's exactly what you did, - very clever!!! When the house is cooling some slightly cooler air from the ERV will blow on it as well... Really neat 'trick'.

Take those yellow stickers off.

Has anyone ever seen that before? I have done a couple schools with air to air heat pumps and Erv's. I came up with the idea on a cold day working on a heat pump. The Erv exhaust was where I would warm up. And yes its cooler in the summer too.
    The Erv is about 75% efficient and if I recover anymore energy by doing this, bonus. If not it won't hurt anything.

Looks Great

Very nice install. I especially like the poured concrete and stand that the Heat Pump sits on

wow I'm really impressed. Never done a basement upflow here in north texas but it looks awesome. Can't fathom doing all that in an attic.

Worm, you mentioned something about when the wall is built in the basement. Shoot, I would have the man cave down there with a glass wall, so I could glance over there any time and admire that!

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    Worm, you mentioned something about when the wall is built in the basement. Shoot, I would have the man cave down there with a glass wall, so I could glance over there any time and admire that!
    Yeah, and put a floor to ceiling curtain on the glass wall... so it serves multiple functions... grin!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Yeah, and put a floor to ceiling curtain on the glass wall... so it serves multiple functions... grin!
    Grin?? I laughed out loud!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast