Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taliban -Texas

Taliban -Texas

FBI Arrests UT Dallas Student On Gun Charge
    Investigation Linked To Taliban Conspiracy Indictments

Robert Riggs
    Reporting

(CBS 11 News) RICHARDSON FBI agents arrested 19-year-old Syed Maaz Shah on his way to take a final exam on the University of Texas at Dallas campus.

The Pakistani national is a sophomore electrical engineering student and secretary of UTD’s Muslim Student Association.
    Maaz Shah, who attended high school in Houston and currently lives in Richardson, was arrested for possession of a firearm by a non U.S. citizen according to the FBI.

Federal law enforcement sources say Shah surfaced in a Houston-based investigation of an alleged conspiracy to aid the Taliban.

Ahmed Subhani, the president of UTD’s Muslim Student Association declined to do an on camera interview with CBS 11 on advice from Shah’s attorney. Subhani told CBS 11 that he did not believe the allegations and says that Shah had not expressed support for the Taliban.

Shah’s arrest stems from the indictment of two Houston college students who are accused in a federal indictment of aiding the Taliban. On Tuesday FBI agents there arrested 33-year old U.S. citizen Kobie Williams, also known as Abdul Kabeer or Abdul Kabir, and 29-year old Adnan Mirza, who is a Pakistani National reared in Kuwait.

Williams pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to aid the Taliban and admitted to firearms training and contributing $350 to support the Taliban.

The indictment accused the pair of “conducting firearms and paramilitary training to hone their skills… to fight with the Taliban to engage in a battlefield jihad.” And the indictment alleged that the men “viewed the United States and Coalition military forces on the ground in Afghanistan and Iraq as invaders.”

CBS 11 found a web posting on UTD’s Muslim Student Association forum in which Shah expressed similar views and praised a video of insurgents building roadside bombs in Iraq to kill American troops. The Association pulled the entire forum off their web page after being contacted by CBS 11. You can see the video by clicking here.

According to other blogs found by CBS 11, Shah was born in Karachi and had recently lived in Abu Dhabi and the United Arab Emirates. In a January 2003 posting on the Young Muslims of North America Forum Maaz Shah agreed with a blogger’s view about 9-11 who wrote, “I felt that America was getting wat (sic) was comin (sic) to them.(600,000 dead Iraqi children, forget the 3000 Americans)”

In September of 2004, Shah appeared awed by a discussion entitled Islam Under the Swastika and speculated how a different outcome of World War Two would have been beneficial for Islam, “…by god (sic) just imagine the Islamic Empire combined with Japan Italy and Germany, in WWII, damn just the thought is overwhelming.” Two years later in February of 2006 Shah took offense when a blogger wrote critically about Germans, “I myself have ties to the German race... I won’t go into detail... but also I admire the German war machine of World War II... I just love it... war games, movies, games, anything to do with that genre is a favorite of mine... It’s kind of an obsession.”

Shah is scheduled to be arraigned on the weapons charge before a federal judge in Dallas on Friday.

He was showing and distributing this video on the campus..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOXSOTvoyw8

Last edited by aircooled53; 01-13-2007 at 08:18 AM.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

was arrested for possession of a firearm by a non U.S. citizen according to the FBI.
    Huh?! I had no idea that "non-citizens" where not allowed to purchase firearms... Or perhaps this is just in Texas?

How does this sit with all you second amendment gun nutz out there?

Quote Originally Posted by oloenneker View Post
    Huh?! I had no idea that "non-citizens" where not allowed to purchase firearms... Or perhaps this is just in Texas?

You've asked some stupid questions, ole, but this one goes to the top of the list.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Charlie Brown, You blockhead!

Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    You've asked some stupid questions, ole, but this one goes to the top of the list.

Another doozy.

It sits very well with me personally. Non-citizens are guests and as such should not carry the same rights as an American Citizen, born here or Naturalized. I think that all citizens should be allowed access to weapons if they want them. I also think that those same people need to be trained on and be responsible with those weapons, not much chance of that happening but one can dream.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

What an answer ~~

I can't beleive that you aren't aware that's it's illegal for any foreign national to own firearm.
    As far as guns I have a few, and hope that in our rapidly declining borders I don't have to use one of mine.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Quote Originally Posted by aircooled53 View Post
    I can't beleive that you aren't aware that's it's illegal for any foreign national to own firearm.
    As far as guns I have a few, and hope that in our rapidly declining borders I don't have to use one of mine.
    The reason I posted this is, that I am a Naturalized citizen, and I own several firearms. As a matter of fact, I have never been questioned during any purchase I have made regarding my citizenship status.

On a side note, how then, if it is illegal for foreigners to possess firearms in the USA, what do you say when Canadians come to Alaska to go hunting?

Or do Candians not count? Call the FBI today!!!

The reason I posted this is, that I am a Naturalized citizen, and I own several firearms. As a matter of fact, I have never been questioned during any purchase I have made regarding my citizenship status.

On a side note, how then, if it is illegal for foreigners to possess firearms in the USA, what do you say when Canadians come to Alaska to go hunting?

Naturalized Citizens enjoy freedoms and priviliges that outsiders do not have.
    If foreigners are allowed into the country, a reasonable search and seizure process is supposed to be in effect.

Dude -
    As a natualized citizen I would think that you most of all would have a true appreciation for America. I've been all over the world and as messed up as some things here are, they're still worth protecting. If you don't like or understand that, why stay?
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

I personally think that we are missing a simple thought:

Freedom is not a right, it is a privlidge.

Just because a person is physically on the dirt of the USA does not mean they have the same rights as Citizens or naturalized citizens.

Being a Citizen carries rights beyond others. It also carries a responsibility: that being to learn about, understand, and swear to uphond the principles of our nation.

If a US citizen went to a foreign country it would be that way there, why is anyone surprised when it is the same here.

Go back to SPQR, the Roman Empire. Citizenship had privlidges. That is just the way it is done. Sorry if you do not like it.

And now for my personal opinion: If you do not like the USA, go find yourself a different country to live in. But if you will live here, you will follow our rules. There is no option 'B'...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by engineerdave View Post
    Dude -
    As a natualized citizen I would think that you most of all would have a true appreciation for America. I've been all over the world and as messed up as some things here are, they're still worth protecting. If you don't like or understand that, why stay?
    I have a deep appreciation of the USA, and I wonder why you are questioning that aspect?

My original point was that no one has ever questioned me about my citizenship status when purchasing a firearm. If it's a big deal, why never the question?

And what about Canadians on hunting trips in Alaska? Are they violating the law regarding firearms possesion?

How about non-citizens that serve in the US military or in Law enforcement?? Are they also subject to this law?

My apologies. My point is this: The 2nd Ammendment is at the very core of what seperates the U.S. from just about everywhere else on the planet. Freedom of Religion, Free Speech, the Vote, all are ensured by the presence of the 2nd Ammendment. Gun nuts? You bet. Every U.S. citizen has an obligation to be one.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

[quote=oloenneker;1339134]I have a deep appreciation of the USA, and I wonder why you are questioning that aspect?

To further your appreciation of this country I think that you and any other "naturalized" citizen should have to serve two years in the military provided you are not to old, male and pass the physical. You might tilt to the right a little more in your thinking then.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast