Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yea I took a gander and saw dang I shouldn't have opened my big mouth on that. Lol.

As others have said, if you follow good practices, your manifold will never have a significant amount of oil in it when you disconnect from a system.

Just don't try to get by with those combo R-22/R-410a analog gauges, as they are terrible for R-22 due to the compressed scale on the gauge. Analog gauges are pretty terrible anyway though.

I like leaving a little bit of refrigerant pressure in my hoses, so I don't have to purge the whole hose and manifold set when I hook up to a system, so I have multiple sets of digital gauges.
    R-22 = Digi-Cool DRSA-1250
    R-410a w/POE oil = Testo 550
    R-410a w/PVE oil = Old first generation Testo 523
    Recovery/nasty system = Digi-Cool BTD-1000
    Paperweight = 2nd generation Testo 523
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I use my gauges for all refrigerants. If I feel there is a bunch of oil in them, I will purge them out.

Now if you use analogs, I could see the resolution of different refrigerants throwing you off. This could possibly cause inaccurate charging and compressors to go bad.

anyone else to comment?

I use different gauges (with SHORT hoses) for each refrigerant. I clean them by using QD contact cleaner and then purging them with nitrogen.
    Nothing is magic, it works or doesn't work for a reason.

Would the AK900 on truetech be the best set of digital guages? For the $.

What kind of pipe temp sensors does it come with I see the other threads on modding them to Cooper sensors which looks like a good value.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Would the AK900 on truetech be the best set of digital guages? For the $.

What kind of pipe temp sensors does it come with I see the other threads on modding them to Cooper sensors which looks like a good value.
    I like the AK for durability and the fact that the display has all pertinent information on the same screen. (pressures, sat temps, SH/SC and Differential temp)

The AK can be had with standard sensors that are attached with velcro or with clamp sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    As others have said, if you follow good practices, your manifold will never have a significant amount of oil in it when you disconnect from a system.

Just don't try to get by with those combo R-22/R-410a analog gauges, as they are terrible for R-22 due to the compressed scale on the gauge. Analog gauges are pretty terrible anyway though.

I like leaving a little bit of refrigerant pressure in my hoses, so I don't have to purge the whole hose and manifold set when I hook up to a system, so I have multiple sets of digital gauges.
    R-22 = Digi-Cool DRSA-1250
    R-410a w/POE oil = Testo 550
    R-410a w/PVE oil = Old first generation Testo 523
    Recovery/nasty system = Digi-Cool BTD-1000
    Paperweight = 2nd generation Testo 523
    What, no SMAN?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Do you have to scroll through a bunch to switch from 22 to 410a?

You do have to scroll through refrigerants to select the one you're looking at, and they're in numerical order.

http://digi-cool.com/wp-content/uplo...-sheet-web.pdf

It is a really nice setup. If you do resi work, the original sensors will do you just fine.

I had my 550's about everything under the sun. Take JP's refrigerant purging technique class and you'll be good to go. I do go get the old analogs when it comes to recovering refrigerant with acid/dye in it.

Once you get used to it you scroll through them so fast it takes a second or two

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post

Once you get used to it you scroll through them so fast it takes a second or two

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Ok guys thanks Im really considering a set. Im sure they do amazing with nitrogen holding charges as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast