Learning Duct design, Layout and Airflow?

Hello everyone I have been in the field for about a year now. I started out riding along with a tech who has been in the field for 30 years. He has become my mentor and I have learned a lot from this individual although he chooses not to follow industry standards often hes kind of hard headed and stuck in his ways. I personally want to grow more keep up with industry standards, follow proper procedures and become a grade A tech. Although i am thankful for him taking me under his wing I guess I feel like i hit a dead end in my learning with this individual. That being said I feel a week point for me right now is airflow and learning proper duct design. I'm attending a manufacture training class on air flow this week but those classes are only so in depth. What is the best way to learn and master this section of are business. Books? A specific class or seminar? any input would be great.

Thanks all

ACCA's Manual D is what I use for duct design. I think that many would say that it is the industry standard for duct design. I'm sure there are some classes out there that are pretty good but I like to have something in front of me to refer back to. I have several of the ACCA manuals I have used since trade school that I use all the time.

Ek for a quick start I would learn the equal friction method of sizing ducts and get familiar with a ductulator. If you want to become a master learn the static regain method for a duct sizing. The majority of designers use the equal friction method for duct sizing while also not exceeding max velocity limits, some use the static regain but this is more time consuming even though it is a better method as good as the others. Good luck.

Kay is correct on Mannual D and you should get it and study it. It has the various duct designing methods in therel ASJRAE also has a chapter on duct design which is also ecellant in I beleve there Applications Hand Book (they have 4 handbooks). Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Thanks for all the input! At this point in time I don't do any of the duct design for the company I just install duct work as I am told so I would like a better understanding of it. We mainly just do residential duct work in many cases adding returns and modifying whats already there with flex. I just bought a ductulator and put Manual D on my list of things to buy. Thanks again