Thread: Heritage 15 vs Affinity YZF

Post Likes

Heritage 15 vs Affinity YZF

I have to choose between an American Standard Heritage 15 2 1/2 ton and a York Affinity YZF 2 1/2 ton from the same
    contractor who simply replace my old heat pump/inside coil and the line.Important points are performance,trouble-free operation,good defrost capacity and noise.Rep said he can have a good price on Heritage 15 and at the end there is a
    $ difference.Is there a catch?Tks.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-22-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Price difference

Post Likes
    The catch is you are only replacing a coil in an airhandler with electric heat. I wouldn't do this in my own house let alone for a customer. If you have a 25 year old airhandler-replace the entire system as a SET.

You want performance and trouble free operation but not replaceing anything indoors except the coil.....
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Could be a dual fuel setup. That's what I was thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Could be a dual fuel setup. That's what I was thinking.

Other thread said 20kw???

RHQA1220T is a 240v, 1200cfm, 20kw airhandler.

Post Likes
    Ahh yes looks like I didn't see that there! Good catch.

Post Likes
    I already warned the OP in another thread that paying for high SEER pump on that blower will still leave him at minimum efficiency ratings.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Apart its age,is it anything technicaly wrong with the furnace ?Do you think the air handler is not doing his job ?Is there something bad about that could damage the heat pump apart the loss of few SEER/HSPF units ? Are the electrics elements are used ?I am not using sophisticated comfort gadget aka modulating the air speed and fan speed but I am satisfied with my set up,just want repair what is broken.I understand what you are saying but is it really a must or a better thing to do?Tks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pat77 View Post
    Apart its age,is it anything technicaly wrong with the furnace ?Do you think the air handler is not doing his job ?Is there something bad about that could damage the heat pump apart the loss of few SEER/HSPF units ? Are the electrics elements are used ?I am not using sophisticated comfort gadget aka modulating the air speed and fan speed but I am satisfied with my set up,just want repair what is broken.I understand what you are saying but is it really a must or a better thing to do?Tks.
    The biggest advantage is every new unit comes with a 10 year parts warranty. I don't know if you will even get that on "the coil that can be shoe-horned into a 25 year old airhandler". Like baldloonie said there will be no ARI match for a coil placed into a 25 year old airhandler. Other advantages might be heater staging so you don't get 20kw of electric heat coming on...

Has this contractor discussed with you the advantages of warranty, matched equipment, are you getting a modern thermostat that can stage the electric? Or does he just want to give you what you want (not need) to make the sale???

If you were my customer, I would discuss all these things with you and then let you make the inteligent choice.

Post Likes
    I can't imagine that simply replacing just the coil, or the whole air handler can be that much $ difference. Why would you NOT replace entire inside air handler at same time? Why risk the 25 year old blower motor, heating elements, and sequencer to last? Is this contractor going to "warranty" this 25 year old stuff??? Heck no.....! Now according to Murphy's law, you're very likely to be sorry and pi$$ed off when it quits. I'd hope you are made aware of the possiblilities that you'll not be happy!

Post Likes
    If you are dead set on keeping the old girl I wouldn't put in a 15seer anything.

Go 13seer builder grade.

Post Likes
    Ok tks everyone.

Post Likes
    If you are dead set on keeping the old girl I wouldn't put in a 15seer anything.

Go 13seer builder grade.
    x2

Post Likes

Go 13seer builder grade.
    Yep.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in