Thread: Testo 557.

Testo 557.

Guys,
    I am a bit para about static damage to my gauges and would like to hear what people do to prevent it.
    Is a grounding cable from gauge to the A/C unit common practice?
    I believe with the clamps in place, they act as grounding, but I need to have something in place as habit and avoid regrets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not sure what this is all really about since I've heard really good things about the main gauge function of the first generation all aluminum body 523. Yes it is all metal so technically it would ground by the hanging hook if you commonly hooked it there (but I haven't) and all the following versions and updates you hear so many problems with are made from plastic but at least for my stuff and all the situations with charging and not being grounded something should have happened to the old 523 but it hasn't. One time that sticks in my memory on my now deadded plastic version 523 was charging one time on a rubber roof and seeing the pressures jump around wacky on the high side that wasn't even connected to pressure. Haven't had anything close to that happen to the old version that still turns on and works. I have held off on upgrading to something like a 570 because of all of this nonsense with the grounding strap, grounding clamps whatever. If I already had a newer testo I would try and fasten a wire down at the manifold and run it up the back to a custom metal hanging hook like I've seen a member here make up after the plastic one kept breaking and make a point of grounding it everywhere including hanging in the truck. Ever get a shock exiting a vehicle? With the lack of problems with the old testo and Digi-Cool with this issue makes me believe the issue is not the lack of grounding but a lack of ruggedness of the electronic components which will be a loosing battle for you and this issue.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Good view, but with the uncertainty I think it's something to take precaution with.
    What about a cable and two crock-clips, one to the manifold and the other to the A/C unit?
    I guess that would CYA?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

there should be a testo part number for that exact wire with the clips.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

The 557 should be fine. We have not seen static failures on that unit. The 557 is grounded through the temperature probe. With the probe plugged in, check for resistance between the probe metal barrel and the valve body. There should be some resistance, I cannot remember what it is. That resistance will bleed off any static charge that could build up. If you are moving large amounts of refrigerant without a probe plugged in for some reason, you can use a grounding strap (two large alligator clips, one hooked to the valve body and one hooked to the system to bleed of static charge.
    JLB,

Thanks Jim, it was you that raised this concern to me last year. It has been a concern and without reading anything on the subject, I wanted to post and ask.
    Going to locate a couple of decent clips or clamps that won't easily flip off.