Question Motor Grease and Grease classification

Can anyone explain the main difference in the multipurpose grease that you would use is a standard pillowblock bearing and the grease that is required for the high efficiency motors. Such as the Baldor Super E motors.

I believe it has to do with the temperature. But what is the chemical make up. Some of our guys have told me that the multi prpose grease is Lithium based. I am having a hard time finding such info.

Edit: Also is there any reasoning to the color of the grease? Like the color of refrigernt cans.

The most commonly use types of grease are the Lithium-soap kind and the synthetic polyurea, think about your car engine oil, cheap mineral vs synthetic, same thing applies here, one type is cheap run of the mill and the other has superior lubrication properties and withstand high temperatures and humidity without decomposing, it also cost 4 or 5 times more $$.
    I dont believe there are standard color codes for the grease although manufacturers like Mobil make the synthetic grease with a different tone of blue.
    I"ve gone into places like Kodak factory where they only allow synthetic grease in their equipment.

Grease is like antifreeze... You don't know by the color anymore.

Some stuff from mobil.

Mobil Polyrex EM greases are recommended by many major bearing and electric motor manufacturers for long-life lubrication of electric motor ball and roller bearings.

Mobil Polyrex EM 103 is more specifically recommended for applications such as vertically mounted bearings, or very large motors where a stiffer grease consistency may be required by the OEM, and low noise properties are not required.

Mobil Polyrex EM greases have been shown to be compatible with a number of ExxonMobil lithium complex greases, as well as competitive electric motor mineral polyurea products, as determined by the methodology of ASTM D6185. For specific questions about grease compatibility, contact your Mobil representative.

Key applications include:
    Electric motor bearings
    Fin fan bearings
    High-temperature pump bearings
    Factory-filled, sealed-for-life ball bearings
    Ball or roller bearings operating at high temperatures where low oil separation is required
    Polyrex EM for ball or roller bearings operating in noise sensitive environments

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...olyrex_EM.aspx

Thanks guys. I just fell like this is getting out of control.

I carry the general purpose Litium based grease for the standard ball bearings, The polyurea for the high efficiency motors, the Mobilith SHC 100 a red grease, and some other type for a large energy recovery wheel we service.

I never thought one would need to take a class on grease/lubrication! Of all the things we need to keep up on these days this subject is annoying to me. Maybe because I just don't fully understand it enough.

Keep Reading
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had someone tell me that grease comes in different colors so you know when the old grease is out.