Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettservices View Post
    X2. The only way i have ever used is paying very close attention the gauges and the sounds of the compressor. We have a local large company that didn't vacuum 1000's of systems just purged the lines with refer and called it good. The sound of non-cond as it cycles through the compressor is not hard to miss and the gauges will move quite a bit.

That's how I determine if the system has junk in it. You can hear the compressor start to become louder, amp draw increases and the head increases and then settles.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    one way is maintenance tech not bleading the 410 from there hoses with the low loss fittings and putting a 60 inch hose full of liquid 410a in a r22 unit
    I,ll agree with catmanacman, further more don't use the same gauge lines on R-22 and 410a.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeMikee View Post
    I,ll agree with catmanacman, further more don't use the same gauge lines on R-22 and 410a.
    Why not? I use one set of gauges/hoses on both types of systems. As long as you use the correct procedure, there is no problem using one set.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood650 View Post
    Why not? I use one set of gauges/hoses on both types of systems. As long as you use the correct procedure, there is no problem using one set.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I agree.
    Same here. I keep clean gauges and dirty gauges not 22 or 410 gauges.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood650 View Post
    That's how I determine if the system has junk in it. You can hear the compressor start to become louder, amp draw increases and the head increases and then settles.
    Redwood you are dead on according to some of the REALLY old timers i and Uncle are acquainted with.
    The only variation in the trouble shooting process was the industry veterans were using a watt-meter to detect the higher current draw associated with non-condensates.

Turn system off and let the pressure stabilize, then read the pressure of the system is it relating to the PT chart for the Ambient condition? If it is then your good if not then air has entered the system. If the pressure is higher than what it should be then there is most definitely air in the system.

If it appears to have air inside of it then the next thing you should do is look for traces of oil along the lines (previous leaks, possible it leaked out before & someone just placed more refrigerant back in within without pulling a vacuum to remove the moisture from the system). If it looks like this is the case, recover the refrigerant into a recovery bottle & then get a vacuum pump to remove the remaining moisture. If it does not pull down the there is a leak present in the system, repair it before going any further.

Then pull a vacuum & either place the existing refrigerant from the bottle back in or better yet if funds are not an issue place new refrigerant inside the system. Also do not forget to get an acid test kit & take a sample of either the oil from the compressor by removing it & turning it upside down or getting a sample by the refrigerant from the service port. If acid is present then you will need to treat the oil.

Kool Tech, your method will only work if the air conditions are the same indoors as they are outdoors. As mentioned on page one of this thread, what if it's 70 degrees inside the building and 90 degrees outside? Both temps are going to affect the pressure in the system.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies, even the fundamental replies regarding recovery, leak detection/repair, filter/drier replacements, evacuation and recharging.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123