Carrier 25HCB Heat pump (bASIC SERIES, no QUEIT SHIFT FEATURE....)

Anway to reduce noise on defrost mode? Noise complaints from condo neighbors from entering defrost mode. The noise from r410a is much greater than R22 because of the greater pressure. Does anyone have a solution to this? These units don't have quite shift like the better units which of course land lords refuse to invest in. On developmen actually banned the homeowner from using the heat pump at night because of the noise if you beleive that. I can see how i could be come quit annoying at night while trying yo sleep. I jusy dont want gain a bad reputation. any suggest are greatly apppreciated grentalman.

You can change the defrost board to the version with the quiet shift.

rheem makes a value series h/p that waits for a bit until pressures can equalize before going into defrost and these units are comparable to pricing from goodman and other "cheaper brands". I just installed one today on a rental that the homeowner stated "this is quieter than my 10k$ system that i just bought." Also you could add a compressor blanket to help on existing units.

You could always make a Quiet Shift of your own with a couple ICM102 Delay on Make timers (set for about 60-90 seconds), and a SPDT relay.

The reversing valve wire "O" controls the relay, the contactor "Y" wire goes to the NO and NC terminals of the relay.

It's not perfect, but it will prevent the compressor from restarting for short time to allow the pressures to equalize, reducing some of the noise when it does come back on line.

Send me an email (address is in my profile), and I will forward you a diagram of how it's done.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

that unit comes with a quiet shift board. make sure it is wired properly. BOM has p/n hk32ea003. that is the quiet shift version. number has now changed to hk32ea008.

could be that you have a 25HBC. in that case you can change the board out with one of the above.

i have instructions on how to make the change if you want them.