Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

copeland compr.service and operation seminar

Finally I joined the club,and took the 3 day copeland compressor course.I should say I am glad that I took it.Filled in the gaps.I will understand the posts about compressor problems here better from now on.
    If you asked me what's the best thing I learned..This situation I found interesting;crankcase gets pressurized by blowby(the vent is overcome) due to piston ring wearing as a result the check valve that dumps the oil from stator section to crankcase closes,oil leaves compressor, accumulates in stator section till the oil safety shuts of compressor.Than when the compresoor is off crankcase pressure equilizes with suction pressure and the check valve opens oil falls into crankcase again before I arrive and I find good oil level in the crankcase...and so on.

I went about 4 years ago. An outstanding class, I highly recommend it.

I attended the COSS in 94. Excellent training - I'd like to go again.

Wannafreeze: Did you guys get to tear down compressors the last day? We were supposed to but ran out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    I attended the COSS in 94. Excellent training - I'd like to go again.

Wannafreeze: Did you guys get to tear down compressors the last day? We were supposed to but ran out of time.
    Yes we did.My group ( me and another guy ) had a compressor with a broken piston rod and open windings.Couldn't pull the shaft out.My partner spent all his time trying to get it out.I started walking around checking 19 other torn down compressors.I think too much time was spent the first day with basics of refrigeration though.A lot of the guys were union guys.At the end of tear down all 20 compressors were analized.Few of them showed their obvious cause of failure.Dark(burnt) valve plates and broken reed valves were obvious as overheating and slugging consiquences.One important point that was made by the NY wholesaler was,if a 208V compressor was to be replaced,the whole saler here would give you a 208-230 V compressor.The low voltage tolerance on 208-230 v compressor (5%) is less that a 208V compressor(10%).So if the voltage in that area were in the low side,the 208-230 V compressor is more likely to fail..I wish more of these kind of tips were given rather that basic refrigeration.But no regrets ,it was worth attending.

Are they still giving out the Application/Engineering manuals? That thing has saved me a few times over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    Are they still giving out the Application/Engineering manuals? That thing has saved me a few times over the years.
    Yes they gave the CD.It would probably make a 4 year refrigeration service college program.I have to take time off from this forum and dive into it everynight..

those are good course .......be with the boys and alll.
    Don't interrupt me while i'm talking to myself

WannaFreeze, glad you enjoyed the seminar. I know personally those guys work hard to put on a good class. Don't be afraid to contact Steve and let him know what you liked and disliked. Feedback really helps them fine tune the program when new information is added.

Let me guess, you're one of Steve's cousins now!
    Last edited by basser; 01-12-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by basser View Post
    WannaFreeze, glad you enjoyed the seminar. I know personally those guys work hard to put on a good class. Don't be afraid to contact Steve and let him know what you liked and disliked. Feedback really helps them fine tune the program when new information is added.

Let me guess, you're one of Steve's cousins now!
    From this statement it sounds like you don't teach these anymore. Are you out? If not, when are you coming to Phoenix?

i have to agree with everybody here it is a "huge eye opener" and like marketman said it will be well worth the second trip around

the first day did almost put me to sleep though with the basic's but they want to make sure everybody can be up to speed

i took the class last jan. and they said it was the last time they will give out the AE manual on paper

i will take it next time they are even close to tampa
    once you think you've seen it all
    (THINK AGAIN)
    I would rather work for free than be look upon as a thief!!!!!

a
    Attended last spring. Worth every penny. Was lucky enough to receive Manual in binder. Steve stated it was the last year they, Copeland, were doing it. Great for me, better to carry in the van than load CD into laptop. Greasy fingers!
    "Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better"
    -Pat Riley

Quote Originally Posted by smilies View Post
    From this statement it sounds like you don't teach these anymore. Are you out? If not, when are you coming to Phoenix?

Smiles good to hear from you. Yes you are correct. I've changed departments, but still at Copeland. I haven't taught one for about two years but I have been helping train two new guys throughout that time. I am scheduled to instruct 3 in March and possibly two in April though due to over booking. So I'll get back out there and meet a few more HVAC-Talk-ers.

I do miss getting to talk to all the contractors that attend and getting a chance to help you guys out. That's what is was about for me. I also think there is (or was) something scheduled for the Phoenix area, but I'm not doing that one.

Basser
    Last edited by basser; 01-15-2007 at 08:14 AM.

your right

It was a great seminar. I also feel that the teardown was great. The slides were great. The cd that you got at the seminar coinsides with the book, but some sections are missing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast