+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quadrafire Castile ignitor will not heat up

Post Likes

Quadrafire Castile ignitor will not heat up

I have a 10 year old Castile insert and the ignitor stopped heating up. I replaced it with a new one and still the same results. I checked the snap disks and all connections and noted that the voltage to the ignitor was only reading 10 VOLTS AC. I don't know what it it supposed to read but I would think it should be closer to 110 V AC. Does anybody know the correct voltage or what could be causing the low reading. I do get pellets dropping into the firepot. I'm starting to suspect the control box at this point... Thanks
    Last edited by rebeltown; 02-20-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Likes
    Update to my problem: I was able to start a fire in the firepot manually. When the temp in stove rose the green light on the control panel lit up like it is supposed to. When the fire got hotter, the red light lit on the control panel and pellets started to again drop into the firepot like it is supposed to. So this is telling me that: 1) The thermocouple is detecting the heat like it should, and 2) The control box is at least working when the fire is already started. So, Is the problem with a partially working control box or what?

Post Likes
    It still could be a thermocouple, but most likely it is the control box. pull the ceramic cover off the thermocouple and inspect the end, you should see 2 wires twisted together and a ball of solder at the end. if the end is corroded and/or the wire is broken, replace.

Post Likes
    I checked the thermocouple and it appears OK but it is going on 10 years old...I have a new one on order and we'll see if that helps. I guess the next would be a new control box. l understand that the newer boxes have an adjustment wheel on them that you have to set depending on what stove you're using. Anyone know what setting to use for a Castile insert? Thanks

Post Likes
    the control boxes come with a paper that say what setting to use based on what stove you have.

Post Likes
    Excellent, thanks Darth! I did pull the control box and opened it only to find what appears to be some minor over heating "signs" on a few of the connector spades. I'm ordering a new one today.

Post Likes
    Just to let you know I installed the new control box and now everything works just fine. It was the old (10 yrs) control box that gave up the ghost...

Post Likes
    I'm glad it's fixed. thanks for coming back to update us

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in