work for factory service or a contractor

I have a chance to work for factory service. Are there any advantages to this position as a heavy commercial Tech.

Yes, in my opinion. It is very hard to find a commercial company that will train their techs. So as this field appears to be moving more toward everything being propitiatory, It is harder and harder to keep up with the changes. You need to know how to navigate the displays of all these chillers and package units, if you even have the password. We wind up calling in the factory service at times and sub them out. Just my opinion, unless you got lucky enough to find a contractor that will send you out for training, then its great!

Quote Originally Posted by d_griff View Post
    Yes, in my opinion. It is very hard to find a commercial company that will train their techs. So as this field appears to be moving more toward everything being propitiatory, It is harder and harder to keep up with the changes. You need to know how to navigate the displays of all these chillers and package units, if you even have the password. We wind up calling in the factory service at times and sub them out. Just my opinion, unless you got lucky enough to find a contractor that will send you out for training, then its great!
    Thanks for thoughts.....I believe your correct. It is difficult to get all the information needed to make repairs or even a install. We had problems getting some Lennox units tied in with the existing Lon controls. It took many hours on the phone and several days on the phone with tech support to get it working correctly