dual heat system - can it be set to heat with gas only?

Hi

I have a source 1 gas furnace and a heat pump. Currently, where i live, electricity is significantly more expensive than gas. The controller can be set so that I can choose electric heat only, but there is no option for gas heat only. The temperature in the winter time here is often between 0 and 5 degree celcius so often the heat pump will run for heating, but it will run for a long time and it is not that hot. then when it gets a little colder, the gas kicks in and it heats the place in a few minutes.

So, in the current set up, the heat pump is running for a long time and the electrical bill is going through the roof.

Is there a controller change that I can have done or is it a software change?

please help

thanks

bruce

A dual fuel thermostat with Assn outdoor sensor would let you lock it out based on outdoor temp. Set the lo temp to 55f

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

controller

Could the controller that is already in place have the option of changing the points when it switchs from heat pump to gas? Is there a way I could determine this?

Does thermostat have an emergency heat setting. Our controls are set for gas only by selecting em heat. Just a simple thought.

What thermostat do you have?
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Hi

I got the manual out tonight and read it in detail and it explained how to change the balance points. So I increased the low balance point a couple of degrees and it is now running on gas when the temperature is a little above zero.
    Thanks all for the responses.

Your balance points usually get set for fuel costs. But 0C (32F) is abotu where most end up given typical fuel costs and equipment effciency. IF electric rates are high it might be clsoer to 40F, if electric is cheap, if might be down around 25F. The thermal balance point where the heat pump can;t keep up, if sized for cooling load, in northern climate will usually be aroung 35-40F. IN a southern climate, it might be 20F.