Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

auto crash this morning

half arsed witnessed an yukon xl roll about 5 times at 60 mph on a backroad into work. a teenager hit em and sent him sideways, everyone was walking and talking, so I assume all was well with those involved. My frustration lies with the fact only 3 people out of the 30 that were stopped, managed to get out and see if everyone was ok? I was like the eighth car back and I have no idea why I did it but I stopped dead in the road left my car run, got out and started walking past everyone in their cars to another guy who was already at the upside down yukon to try and get the guy inside, out! Nothing else mattered but walking to that yukon, so weird, it is about 15 deg out and I was not even cold in a thin sweatshirt, I just thought - get their...
    How did no one else feel this? I gawk all the stinkin time, I will admit it, I dont help to many people in need, but seeing something as crazy as a yukon in the air sideways, wouldnt you want to get out?
    We where off the shoulder down about 8 feet from the road grade and if a kid or something was pinned or this guy was unconsious-bleeding it was me, this older gentleman and a young girl their to do something about it....
    I just thought why did no one else get out?

People don't want to get sued. A couple years ago I watched a guy on a Harley t-bone a car. Myself and some others blocked the intersection with our vehicles. The woman in the car was ok, the biker not so much. He flew probably 20 feet in the air and landed on his back, no helmet. I got out of my truck and headed over to him as he started choking on blood. My intentions were to turn him on his side. Mr. "I'm in charge of the situation" was standing in the intersection yelling at myself and a woman who were heading over to the downed biker "If your not a trained medical professional stand back" He then proceeded to get in my face and attempt to block me from giving assistance. The woman got behind him and turned the biker on his side while I engaged with Mr. "I'm in charge". Our attempts were futile as the biker died 2 days later. I know for one, if I was in need of emergency assistance, I would welcome a good samaritan. I believe our litigious society has influenced the way people react towards situations.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

It was working when I left...
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Society is getting numb.

There are so many car accidents that people don't even care anymore; they just want to get to where they are going so they can catch the latest seinfeld rerun.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

They wont help, they will just video it and post it on youtube. I blame the democrats for the moral decay.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    People don't want to get sued. A couple years ago I watched a guy on a Harley t-bone a car. Myself and some others blocked the intersection with our vehicles. The woman in the car was ok, the biker not so much. He flew probably 20 feet in the air and landed on his back, no helmet. I got out of my truck and headed over to him as he started choking on blood. My intentions were to turn him on his side. Mr. "I'm in charge of the situation" was standing in the intersection yelling at myself and a woman who were heading over to the downed biker "If your not a trained medical professional stand back" He then proceeded to get in my face and attempt to block me from giving assistance. The woman got behind him and turned the biker on his side while I engaged with Mr. "I'm in charge". Our attempts were futile as the biker died 2 days later. I know for one, if I was in need of emergency assistance, I would welcome a good samaritan. I believe our litigious society has influenced the way people react towards situations.
    Isn't there a Good Samaratin Law that circumvents you from being sued?
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

Quote Originally Posted by desert guy View Post
    I think that is a state by state thing... not sure if GA has it or not.

I agree that our litigious society has caused a lot of damage to common sense and morality.

Edit: Found this link... not sure if this is accurate...however a good start: http://www.heartsafeam.com/pages/faq_good_samaritan
    Last edited by ga-hvac-tech; 03-18-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Galatians 2:20-21; Colossians 1: 21-22 & 26-27; 3:1-4; Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service.

It varies from state to state. The good samaritan law which is recognized everywhere applies to off duty first responders and medical personel. Everyday people may or may not be covered. I looked into this after the incident and in the state of IL, I do not believe I am covered.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

It was working when I left...
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

He is in the Chicago area, it wouldn't surprise me if it is as illegal to help an injured person as it is to defend yourself from attack on your own property.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    It varies from state to state. The good samaritan law which is recognized everywhere applies to off duty first responders and medical personel. Everyday people may or may not be covered. I looked into this after the incident and in the state of IL, I do not believe I am covered.
    Non trained persons are covered in Texas.
    It can actually go to the opposite extreme. Depending on the situation, it is illegal NOT to render aid.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    Society is getting numb.
    *dumb.

I saw a Yukon(?) get cut off by a class A RV/Mobile Home, go left to avoid getting clipped, left tires leave the pavement and roll on the shoulder for about a couple of hundred feet, overcompensate and roll over, all right in front of me in I-94 a few years back. I grab the first phone I can (company phone) and call 911. I saw kids' toys flying out of the open windows while that thing was rolling, praise Jesus no kids!

A few mins later, my department head calls me, asks why I called 911 and proceeds to chew me out for stopping to render assistance, along with about 5 other cars' worth of people.

I left that place less than a year later, again praise Jesus! I'm just glad the car-seats were not occupied, just the driver.

Remember, people, it could be you needing that hand. Pay it forward.

If there is an accident with a large group of people around everyone thinks someone else will do something. I bet if you needed help and asked the others they would have helped.

I ride motorcycles and will usually stop for other cyclists on the side of the road to help if I can.

In Canada, we have no legal obligations to render aid but our good Samaritan protection is rock-solid, so no good reason not to help. In China and certain states south of the border, people are more likely to wanna have nothing to do with the victim due to fear of getting sued. If it were up to me, I'd send "professional victims" and their ambulance-chasing sorry excuses for lawyers to Siberia and have them followed by camera crews.. Could make a good reality show

Speaking of Seinfeld they had a whole episode on The Good Samaritan law, how appropriate.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast