Thread: Evap Coolers

Frown Evap Coolers

How many of you deal with evap coolers there such a pain in the butt. Customer just came in and wanted to replace 5 of them for his rental properties i guess ican see why he doesn't want A/C if he just rents them out and let the tenant suffer through the summer.

I don't deal with them anymore since I don't live in a climate appropriate for evaporative coolers. In New Mexico, they can be a really inexpensive way to keep cool in the summer.

There used quite a bit here in Southeren AZ. Mostly in Service truck bay's or any place with big doors that get opened alot. Some older homes still have them also. Work good until the rainny season.

We see some portable ones at plants. We don't really work on them(we would if they asked) I think some people think they are a great idea for portable cooling. They use them for a season or two and then they migrate to a corner. We also see them at aluminum mills. Last one I worked on we named swampy. The float valve was stuck wide open for a long time. Inside of unit looked like a septic tank. The "fill" was falling apart and all the filters fell out and were part of the stew. Thank god for sucker trucks. Cleaned up like new after a suck out and a pressure wash. Our climate renders them useless most of the year and they don't take good care of them so they look disgusting. I have never seen a resi swampy.

I have ran into a bunch of mastercool style ones where it takes two or three of us to even lift the pads. resi swamp suck to man people wait to have them serviced until something breaks or water is pouring down the roof because they think the float lasts for years but around here we recommend they change them every season there going to use them.

yeah they do work good and exactly until the rainy season then they call back saying we didn't service it right or its not cooling I tell them seeing the weather lately humidity is 80-90% lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hidalgoj View Post
    I have ran into a bunch of mastercool style ones where it takes two or three of us to even lift the pads. resi swamp suck to man people wait to have them serviced until something breaks or water is pouring down the roof because they think the float lasts for years but around here we recommend they change them every season there going to use them.
    I was working by a big evap cooler with another person. It was during a x brood 13 year cicada season. Between grabbing all of them I possibly could and putting them in his van I watched the big evap cooler claim like a million of them. I can't imagine what the soup in the bottom of that thing looked like. I still crack up thinking about that day.