Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,090

    Testing used vaccum pump

    So my buddy treated my vac pump like how he treats his company tools and now it's NFG!!

    I can't get to mad at this guy I did hit a pothole with his ride and split the oil pan wide open. I payed to fix it.

    Now he has a silently used YJ 7 CFM Bullet pump. I was thinking of throwing a micron gauge on it and if it pulls down to specs and holds its good. I don't wanna accept junk. My pump worked but was old and ruff. This one is mint and slightly used.

    So is that all I can do is use the gauge ? Anything else I should look for?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    668
    check the oil?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    So my buddy treated my vac pump like how he treats his company tools and now it's NFG!!

    I can't get to mad at this guy I did hit a pothole with his ride and split the oil pan wide open. I payed to fix it.

    Now he has a silently used YJ 7 CFM Bullet pump. I was thinking of throwing a micron gauge on it and if it pulls down to specs and holds its good. I don't wanna accept junk. My pump worked but was old and ruff. This one is mint and slightly used.

    So is that all I can do is use the gauge ? Anything else I should look for?
    First thing you must understand is the YJ Bullet is the entry level pump. It lacks the build quality of of the better built YJ pumps...I don't believe it even has a blank off...that being said, YJ has a micron level that the pump with clean oil should pull down to in a specific interval of time. If it does not, the rotary vanes are leaking by or other mechanical probs exist.

    YJ will give the the micron level the Bullet should pump down to if you call them 800 769 8370.

    My advice would be to by pass the bullet and go for the better built YJ pump.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,918
    A vacuum pump is a vacuum pump is a vacuum pump, IMO.

    Put a vacuum gauge on it, verify that it pulls down to a decent vacuum level. Most will pull well under 50 if they're in good shape.

    Blank-off valves aren't all that useful as they're VERY common leak points. Use proper valve core removal tools with vacuum rated valves on them for optimal isolation for leak testing.

    I had an "entry-level" YJ vacuum pump and it did everything that I needed for it to do for almost 18 years, and for about 15 of those years, it didn't see much by way of proper maintenance, either.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    A vacuum pump is a vacuum pump is a vacuum pump, IMO.

    Put a vacuum gauge on it, verify that it pulls down to a decent vacuum level. Most will pull well under 50 if they're in good shape.

    Blank-off valves aren't all that useful as they're VERY common leak points. Use proper valve core removal tools with vacuum rated valves on them for optimal isolation for leak testing.

    I had an "entry-level" YJ vacuum pump and it did everything that I needed for it to do for almost 18 years, and for about 15 of those years, it didn't see much by way of proper maintenance, either.
    I agree with you about blank-off valves. It was merely pointed out to illustrate how basic the Bullet really is.

    But you're off base if you consider the "entry-level" pumps like the Bullet to be as good as the ones built 20years ago.

    I had a very frank discussion with a YJ engineer one day who revealed to me the diffs in quality in the materials between the Bullet and YJs better pumps. I was surprised at his varsity, considering his employer.

    Do a little research, JP, and talk to some of your local vac pump service centers.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,918
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    I agree with you about blank-off valves. It was merely pointed out to illustrate how basic the Bullet really is.

    But you're off base if you consider the "entry-level" pumps like the Bullet to be as good as the ones built 20years ago.

    I had a very frank discussion with a YJ engineer one day who revealed to me the diffs in quality in the materials between the Bullet and YJs better pumps. I was surprised at his varsity, considering his employer.

    Do a little research, JP, and talk to some of your local vac pump service centers.
    Quite honestly, I view most of the vacuum pumps and, well, most other tools like that on the market today to be disposable tools.

    They're mostly low quality items, made in third-world countries and marketed at the guy who wants a shiny new tool without opening his moth-eaten wallet too far.

    That's why, when I picked up my last pump, I bought the JB pump. It fit my needs and, with a bit of care, will last as long as I need it to.


    If OldSchoolMech is buying his own tools, and I think that he is, buying entry level tools is no crime and no shame, even if they are used.

    I doubt that you could prove that there is a difference in performance with field-grade instruments.

  7. #7
    The OP asked if there was anything else to look for. I shared what I have in good faith and did not criticize or insinuate anything derogatory.

    All forums members are free to accept or decline the information shared by others as they see fit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,090
    Name:  image-3347835397.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  48.0 KB

    So that's what I got. It was used on one install. It had bill of sale,manual and warranty card.
    I put a micron gauge on it and pulled to 25 microns
    I am happy with it

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    1,524
    If you're happy,,,no problem. I've used J/B , Robinair, and Y/J. My J/B that i bought in 1980 still works fine. Biggest thing is CHANGE THE OIL!!!!!!
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    Name:  image-3347835397.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  48.0 KB

    So that's what I got. It was used on one install. It had bill of sale,manual and warranty card.
    I put a micron gauge on it and pulled to 25 microns
    I am happy with it
    I'm happy you got what you felt was best for you.

    My next pump is going to be a JB Platinum...their staff always has time to talk to their end users and are generous with tech info.

    Thanks Marty at JB!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,918
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    I'm happy you got what you felt was best for you.

    My next pump is going to be a JB Platinum...their staff always has time to talk to their end users and are generous with tech info.

    Thanks Marty at JB!
    Same pump I've got.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,770
    Me too

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,713
    A year ago, I twisted the arm of the manager at the supply house... he gave me a deal; so I bought an Appion G-5Twin recover pump and an Appion TEZ-8 vacuum pump.

    http://www.appioninc.com/products/tez8features.html

    The Appion vacuum pump is a different animal than what we are used to... and it is expensive. However I have never seen a workhorse like this... and it weighs only 29#. (Do not ask the price...

    With a little care, I doubt I will ever buy another pump.

    And yes... change your oil often...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event